lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2018, 06:20 AM   #1
98goldwing
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 86 Marathon Clutch

Think I have a clutch problem.... 4 years fat dumb & happy until I got second cart..... My 86 gas marathon does not have a "neutral" at startup. when I depress the pedal it lurches while the engine starts. runs around no problem until there is a uphill grade.... dogs right out.... if I come to full stop and restart it seems to have better low end but not that great... Brand new belt (replaced twice) from ezgo and buggies unlimited, someone suggested that perhaps I got the wrong belt by mistake... no change...

Took the belt off and spun up the engine easy .... clutch seemed to hang then slam closed it did not back open as engine speed reduced.... Maybe I am remembering wrong thinking back a couple+ decades that the engine speed controlled the primary clutch position and the load controlled the secondary...
Probably got it wrong ..... but....

Wrench in hands of prior owner near machinery was grounds for assault with deadly weapon charge 'nuff said there... there is a comet clutch on the cart... Wondering if somehow the clutch is wrong one...can't imagine how that might happen... or maybe the clutch just needs some TLC...

Anyone know the proper comet fitment for the 86? suggestions....

Thanks
98goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
NYOZ
Getting Wild

Default Re: 86 Marathon Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98goldwing View Post
Maybe I am remembering wrong thinking back a couple+ decades that the engine speed controlled the primary clutch position and the load controlled the secondary...
Probably got it wrong ..... but....

Anyone know the proper comet fitment for the 86? suggestions....

Thanks
You are correct in the way they function. Here is the OEM #23192-G1.

Try pulling the dust cover off the primary and make sure none of the weights are out of line. Had the same issue and discovered a weight was missing .
NYOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:19 AM   #3
98goldwing
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply. Will have to see if I can cross-reference the EZGO number to a Comet number, for all I know the prior owner may have gone to a snowmobile boneyard and grabbed a used clutch that "looked" the same as the stock model but was set at t slightly different pitch or width.

Weights sticking or being off was my first thought as well. My biggest concern is the tightness of the belt when the engine is not running... Recollection is that the belt should be loose in the primary when engine is off and tighten and supply power to the secondary once engine spins up to close the clutch to move the car.

I thought that once the clutch spins down the spring returns it to full open which should slack the belt until the revs come up. I do not remember anything under the dust cover that would hang it from opening all the way... Am I just overthinking this? (THAT would NEVER happen)
98goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:14 PM   #4
NYOZ
Getting Wild

I would try taking the dust cover off. If the clutch is off the engine , try exercising the clutch . A little moly lube can be placed on the shaft to lubricate it . If it is still in the cart remove the cover and remove the belt and try to exercise it .
On my 86 it is a Comet clutch as well. I will see if there are any comet numbers on it.
NYOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:15 AM   #5
MICKEYMOTORMOUNT
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

As NYOZ said, remove the dust cover. My motto is: "You don't know what's in the bag until you open it". Once inside you will be able to judge the condition of all the weights, bushings etc. not to mention the overall cleanliness of the interior.

Once I removed my dust cover, it was extremely dirty with lots of crud built up over the years.

Only numbers on my '88 are patent numbers and the EZGO part number 23192-G1.

Anybody know if it's a 100C or 102C?
MICKEYMOTORMOUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO