lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2020, 09:25 PM   #1
Captain Claptrap
Not Yet Wild

Default plug getting hot and charge duration

I recently bough a cart that's about 20 years old. I replaced the batteries and since I'm totally new to the cart world, I am noticing things that I'd like to know if they are cause for alarm.

1:The charge plug gets warm. Like warm as in about as hot as you might expect a black plug to get if sitting in the noon day sun in 90-degree heat. Nothing melting, but definitely hot around the plug/socket area.

2:My son left the charger out in the rain one day. I notice nothing different about the charging, but as a precaution, I mounted it to the wall of the garage so that can't happen again. It looked like it mounting it to the wall would be ok, it's on a heavy gage extension cord.

3:The charging process can take several hours. Is that normal?
Captain Claptrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2020, 10:56 PM   #2
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: plug getting hot and charge duration

Seems perfectly normal to me. Now, if you smell anything burning or see smoke, then you got other issues. But the plugs (both AC at the wall) and the one on the car will get quite warm depending on the discharge level of the batteries. It's not a good idea to let them go so far dead the car won't move.

It can take anywhere from 4-6 to 12-16 hours tops depending on how low the pack gets, to charge. Smelling rotten eggs is also to be expected in a closed area like a garage.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO