lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
IMKCMAC
Not Yet Wild

Default EXGO not so easy to get info on.

Someone tell me what i have.Tech at EZGO never was able to give me any info so here goes.This is what i have on a plate next to passengers left knee.EZGO
serial 341405,manufacturing code 84 L 16.What i also need to know is how to wire in a set of lights.It has a fused light pull switch,but no wiring going to it.It had front lights but they are gone,it still has the rears with the wiring still intact but not connected.Thanks in advance.Jerry
IMKCMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
cdray
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EXGO not so easy to get info on.

Hey Jerry. Looks like you have a 1984 Marathon. As for the lights. some of these electrical guru's will have to answer that one. With the electric carts it gets into voltage reducers to run 12 volt accessories. Also I don't think the electrics use the frame of the cart as a ground like on autos. Be patient, do some searching, and someone will answer your questions. There's a lot of fine folks here willing to help..... David
cdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm not the guru, but I can tell you how most lights get hooked up on carts. On electric carts you need to identify a 12V source. I like connecting a positive terminal closes to the controller. you then use the neg terminal on the second battery away from the first. This would be the 1st and 2nd batterys on the backrow. hook up + on one battetry the negative to the other battery. This will give 12V from your battery pack.(verify with voltage meter) Ground all components back to this battery ground. Run your lights from here to a fuse, through the sw. and then to the lights. Hook up the rears using the same 12v source through the same switch. Then all the lights come on at the flip of the switch. Is that understandable? A diagram would be better. There are ezgo manuals on this site. go to the home page down to " EZGO gas tech" Some use voltage reducers (recommended) they will also work off two batts to = 12V
The manuals /specs are here. hope that helps.

Last edited by tonyton; 06-07-2009 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: added voltage verification/reducers
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey cdray! Where's Camden? I'm from Anniston. There's talk of a jamboree being put together. Would you be interested? PM me if you have any suggestions. Roger from arab is interested. FYI
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Here's a light, horn, signals wiring diagram. Hope it helps.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...ringLights.jpg
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That's odd - they simply run the accessories off the first two cells. That would put them out of balance with the rest, potentially overcharging the other 4..

Why do people buy voltage convectors if the manufacturer does it this way?
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

EFLYGUY- BECAUSE ITS THE CHEAP WAY HUMMMMMM??????
The use of some voltage reducers ( 10 to 15 amp? ) is connected across the WHOLE BATTERY PACK, so balance is retained. The cheap ones ( low output 10 amps or less ) do the same thing by unbalance the batterys so that you either have to move connection around to other batterys and or charge the TWO batterys seperately to try and keep balance??
Neither of these ways are much good for anything other than a few lights, and even at that you have brown outs when pedal is pushed down hard.
The only way is to add another small deap cycle 12 volt battery and charge it as needed. This solves all problems with 12 volt added radio, horn, lighting etc.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Understood. What amazes me is this is the "official" EZGO way, right?
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Understood. What amazes me is this is the "official" EZGO way, right?
..a
Obviously best way to power accessories is to use a voltage reducer and take from the complete bank. These reducers not only cost considerable $ but have also proven to be problematic at times. My guess is that some "value engineering" was done and the batteries were simply tapped at 12v for simplicity and $ saved.

Generally speaking in a true golf cart application, which is what 95% of golf carts are used for, it's rare to use lights for any length of time, even in a golf cart community like I live it's rare that you use lights. The horn is a momentary item and a surprising few have radios so tying the accessories across a 12v section of the 36v system does very little to imbalance the batteries.

I have a 42v cart that has a 36v solenoid and it is tapped at 36v and I also have lights etc and they are tapped at 12v. The batteries are 5 year old Trojan T-105's and can still easily drag me around 36 holes and have me doing 20 mph all the way home with the charge bars at about 60-70%.

The way I figure, unless your running big stereo systems, hunting at night or running a winch, the point is moot.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #10
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Lets face the fact that ( any manufacurer will go the cheap route ), and in this case with a new everything cart the warentee will run out before the batteries go bad?
Manufacturers have whole teams of people that are looking for ways to produce parts for less money and put more money in corporate pockets.
I had a friend that worked for GM and he told me of all the short cuts that were taken to raise corporate bonuses at the expense of the buying public?? Many were safety related and until the law suits started coming they turned their backs on the public safety and this was by all auto manufacturers?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO