lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
blaynef13
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Battery Light

I unplugged my cart and went to check traps tonight and went about 3/4 of a mile and my battery light came on for a little while and went back off(20-30 seconds). I have new batteries and when i got back(another 3/4 mile) i checked the voltage of the pack and it was 50.7v. What have i done? I replaced the OBC a couple of weeks ago because i blew it when upgrading to 2ga cables.

I could sure use some help.

Thanks a lot for anything you can think of!!

BAF
blaynef13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Light

yeah spend @ $20 and get a meter so you always know what voltage you are at. Then put a piece of tape over the light j/k about the tape...but i do love the meter
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250355439958
Attached Images
File Type: jpg led meter.jpg (10.1 KB, 7 views)
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

This is the model number for that meter from Coldfusionx on eBay out of California. I put a toggle switch on the 12 volt side of the meter to turn it on and off. Lately I just leave it on.

UP8135 BLUE LED DC 200V Digital Volt Meter Power 6-15V

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...installed.html
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:39 AM   #4
blaynef13
Gone Wild

Club Car

So the light didn't mean anything? Surely it shouldn't come on at 50.7v? That should be almost fully charged. I guess I should just get the meter and the tape. Sorry for all of the questions.
blaynef13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:33 AM   #5
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaynef13 View Post
So the light didn't mean anything? Surely it shouldn't come on at 50.7v? That should be almost fully charged. I guess I should just get the meter and the tape. Sorry for all of the questions.
Your OBC tells the light to come on or go off for different things, not just battery pack. It might flash if you shut down the charger too soon. It might flash if you had your tow/run switch set to off for a period of time then turned it on to use the cart. But the bottom line is if your pack has 50.7 volts you're about fully charged. If your pack is at 48.41 then you're about half charged. All the meter is going to do is let you know when you're good to go or low!
Old 07-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #6
pjshane
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordlawn View Post
yeah spend @ $20 and get a meter so you always know what voltage you are at. Then put a piece of tape over the light j/k about the tape...but i do love the meter
The eBay URL above does not work, probably because this forum's software will not allow real long URLs. Just go to eBay and put "250355439958" in the search line. Of course, leave the quotes off.

I just ordered this meter and plan to mount it like scubabud did. I plan to pick off the 12 volts from the headlights switch and the battery pack voltage from the ignition switch. I'll find a ground wire somewhere nearby. Somebody please speak up if this is not a good plan. tnx/pjs
pjshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshane View Post
The eBay URL above does not work, but this one does: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
eBay links usually don't work unless you just copy and paste them in, between the quotes below. There is also a link for the same meter without a buy it now price and it starts the bidding at $14.50. I purchased that one when the auction was over, (have to wait to see if anyone else bids,) for the starting bid of $14.50 plus $2.95 = $17.45 shipped. I accidentally shorted out my first meter and the second one I ordered had a bad Dip#3 switch which I returned and they exchanged it, (still waiting for it to arrive in the mail.)

Your plan to install is fine. I'd put a fuse on the 48 volt side going to the meter, (I had test leads touch once, pop went the meter,) and use the 12 volts from the headlights. You might want to put a switch on the 12 volt side so you can shut down the meter when desired.

"http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250355439958&ru=http%3 A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trks id%3Dm38.l1313%26_nkw%3D250355439958%26_sacat%3DSe e-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1"
Old 07-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
pjshane
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
eBay links usually don't work unless you just copy and paste them in, between the quotes below.

Your plan to install is fine. I'd put a fuse on the 48 volt side going to the meter, (I had test leads touch once, pop went the meter,) and use the 12 volts from the headlights. You might want to put a switch on the 12 volt side so you can shut down the meter when desired.

"http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250355439958&ru=http%3 A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trks id%3Dm38.l1313%26_nkw%3D250355439958%26_sacat%3DSe e-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1"
I'll guess the quotes prevent the forum software from truncating the long URL.

I may add a switch later, but in the meanwhile hope the meter does not draw much.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
pjshane
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordlawn View Post
So I bought and installed the UP8135a (stamped on box) meter in my 48v Club Car golf cart. It lights up nicely, but shows only zeros. There is no decimal even with #3 dip turned on.

Using a hand-held meter, I see 16v across #1-red and (#2-black & #4-blue tied together)and 50.8v across #3-green and the (#2-black & #4-blue tied together). #4 dip is turned on.

I got a similar result when I tested with a 12v battery prior to installation in the cart.

Do I have defective meter or just have it wired wrong? tnx/pjs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meter.jpg (57.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshane View Post
So I bought and installed the UP8135a (stamped on box) meter in my 48v Club Car golf cart. It lights up nicely, but shows only zeros. There is no decimal even with #3 dip turned on.

Using a hand-held meter, I see 16v across #1-red and (#2-black & #4-blue tied together)and 50.8v across #3-green and the (#2-black & #4-blue tied together). #4 dip is turned on.

I got a similar result when I tested with a 12v battery prior to installation in the cart.

Do I have defective meter or just have it wired wrong? tnx/pjs
#1 = Red = +12
#2 = Black = -12
#3 = Green = +48
#4 = Blue = -48

Dip# 1,2 OFF
Dip# 3,4,5 ON Which means that you'll be using a common ground on #2 & #4 the Black & Blue Leads

So by looking at what you typed above you have it wired right. Try pushing down #3 Dip and see if it shows the decimal point, it should be on but I actually mean push the Pin down into the red case. One of mine was defective that way and would only come on when I did that.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car