lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
prosales1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: China Grove, TX-When the sun comes up on a sleepy little town Down around San Antone
Cool Replacing Valve Seals

Hello, I am new to this site and have learned alot from past posts about my Cart. I just bought a used 97 ezgo gas eh290 robin. Compression is 170 and 172.. New plugs, air filter, pcv hose, oil changed to 30 weight synthetic blend. Also I have adjusted the valves to .004. The cart smokes when you run it for 15 to 20 minutes... Dealers said that the valve seals are more than likely my problem... He said to pressurize the motor not drop the valves to replace the valver seals. My question is at what amount pressure do I need to maintain constant pressure so not to drop the valves and does this sound about right? I ordered the manual so I will have a guide....Any guidance or words of wisdom would be appreciated......Thanks
prosales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Replacing Valve Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosales1 View Post
Hello, I am new to this site and have learned alot from past posts about my Cart. I just bought a used 97 ezgo gas eh290 robin. Compression is 170 and 172.. New plugs, air filter, pcv hose, oil changed to 30 weight synthetic blend. Also I have adjusted the valves to .004. The cart smokes when you run it for 15 to 20 minutes... Dealers said that the valve seals are more than likely my problem... He said to pressurize the motor not drop the valves to replace the valver seals. My question is at what amount pressure do I need to maintain constant pressure so not to drop the valves and does this sound about right? I ordered the manual so I will have a guide....Any guidance or words of wisdom would be appreciated......Thanks
anything over 25lbs will be fine.
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
prosales1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: China Grove, TX-When the sun comes up on a sleepy little town Down around San Antone

Thanks for the feed back...I let you guys know what happens....
prosales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

Valve seals hardly go bad on these engines and I doubt they make your engine smoke for 15 to 20 minutes. I'd be interested to see if this cure works.
btw, I've always use at least 90 psi when changing seals but that's on car engines. don't see why it would be different on the robin engine but have yet to come across one that needs it.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
10w30dna
Not Yet Wild

I replaced the valve stem seals and it did stop the smoking. Fumbled a bit with big hands/small parts,but it DID fix the smoking when hot. Everybody used to yell when I went by looking like mosquito abatement vehicle! Now,nice clear exhaust and the seals were less than 10 bucks! 96 TXT cart. I slid the followers off to one side for each cylinder. Plug the oil drainback openings with paper towel and cover the surrounding area in case one of those keepers gets away!
10w30dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO