lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
jfagner
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Water soaked air filter - thus leading to carb

Howdy all, you have a very helpful and informative site. Thank you.
Now, I have a problem. When we had a some flooding, my Workhorse 1200 was a bit underwater, I moved it and it ran out of gas shortly thereafter. After filling the gas tank and trying to get the engine primed again it ran for about 100 yards and died. I thought the battery drained out because it took so long to get gas back into the system. I jumped it with another 12 volt battery to no avail. While checking various checkpoints I took off the air filter and it was soaking wet, I took off the hose to the carb and saw white foam, crap, I said! I towed the cart to high ground and now think that I have seized the motor up with water in the carb. Crap, I said. I have adjusted the valves before and just had my cart in great working order and was enjoying it, but, now I got nothing. Solenoid clicks but that is all I get now. It has been suggested that I put a penetrating oil in the spark plug holes and see if I can break the pistons free and then maybe get the system dried out and working again. Any suggestions for me before I have to completely take apart the motor? Mortified, depressed and looking for a direction! Crap, I say! Thanks for any responses in advance.
jfagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Water soaked air filter - thus leading to carb

Put just a squirt of oil in each cylinder... Can you turn the motor over by hand ... by turning the clutch if so and remove the carb and drain and clean the carb and tank and change the oil ...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
jfagner
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

No, it is not free moving at this point. I did put a wrench to the bolt on the clutch/shaft but didn't put too much torch to it, besides that probably just lets you take off the clutch. Considering my luck at this point, I didn't want to sheer it off! I will do as you say and let the oil penetrate for a while and see if I can free up the shaft. Do you recommend any particular type of penetrating product? If I can get it broken free I will do your other suggestions and clean up and dry out the system, hopefully. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Is it stuck then? ...has it rusted stuck or has something broken? You should be able to turn the cltch by hand no tools required back and forth ... if you can't turn it by hand then you have a problem. How long has it been in water or since it was last run?
Old 10-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
jfagner
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, stuck.
flood last thursday, problem happened on friday when trying to move it to higher ground. When it ran is was like it wasn't getting any gas and had no power, I thought that the fuel system was just slow getting itself flowing again. There was allot of cranking and trying to get the spark plugs to kick in. I thought it was a fuel problem because it ran out of gas and didn't think to check the air intake until things had stopped. Having adjusted the valves before, I know that it should turn freely, that is not happening now, no movement at all. Don't think that rust has overtaken it at this point but know that time is a major factor right now for rust to take hold.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sounds like something broke? ...pull the plugs and put some oil in it... If it won't turn freely then I think you are maybe looking at a broken ring but lets wait for some real experts to put their 2 cents in
Old 10-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
jfagner
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the response, I will squirt some oil and let it set for a while and see if it will free up. I'll check back later to see what others might say. Thanks again for the very quick response!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
chardonite
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My guess is water got in the oil and seized the engine up. The fact that it seized while running is very ominous. I would say look for a new or rebuilt engine.I would still try the oil in the cylinders. I would also check the oil, if it is milky looking it means water got in the oil and you found the problem. A water oil mix lubricates very poorly and causes engines to seize very quickly. Good luck, Chardonite
chardonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
jfagner
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ominous seems to be the theme. There is no milkyness to the oil, in fact it looks better than the oil in my own car! I have put some penetrating oil in the cylinders and will let it sit until tomorrow when I can get to it. Question? Can I use the bolt at the end of the shaft to try to break it free or does that just allow the removal of the clutch from the shaft? I may need a bit more torque on the shaft to try to break it from it's current state. Thank you for your response.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
chardonite
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would use the bolt.. Good luck, Chardonite.
chardonite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carburetor, seized, water
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO