lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Default Re: precedent accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
Thanks Steve. I understand to ground accessories back to the converter but when you say "always ground back to the battery pack" are your talking about the converter ground?
Yes, ground converter to battery pack.

A golf cart is not like a car, as you can't ground to the frame. So as a general rule, get your ground from the battery pack neg, or a wire that gets it from there, or the neg of your converter (if you are using 12 pos volts from converter)

I hope that makes sense.

So, are you putting the light kit on and running from a converter or batt #4?
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec3201 View Post

A golf cart is not like a car, as you can't ground to the frame. So as a general rule, get your ground from the battery pack neg, or a wire that gets it from there, or the neg of your converter (if you are using 12 pos volts from converter)

I hope that makes sense.

I already have a light kit installed but want to add a converter to draw off the whole pack and not just #4. That is what confuses me, if I connect any accessories I will need a converter or reducer as I can't get my ground off the pack by directly hooking to it as will give me a 48v feed and not 12v that I need, correct?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #13
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
I already have a light kit installed but want to add a converter to draw off the whole pack and not just #4. That is what confuses me, if I connect any accessories I will need a converter or reducer as I can't get my ground off the pack by directly hooking to it as will give me a 48v feed and not 12v that I need, correct?
Okay, very easy: You will connect #1 pos and #4 neg to the converter input.

Run 12v pos and neg from converter to dash.
Connect 12 v pos to unused blue/white wire.
Connect neg to unused black wire.

You will have working lights.

Note: This worked for me, after I already had working lights, but now I'm using the converter, not battery #4. BTW, you will have to disconnect the blue wire from battery #4, as this connection is no longer needed.

Don't forget to install fuses. I will post pics of my completed job, but that is how it worked for me.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:

Note: This worked for me, after I already had working lights, but now I'm using the converter, not battery #4. BTW, you will have to disconnect the blue wire from battery #4, as this connection is no longer needed.

Don't forget to install fuses. I will post pics of my completed job, but that is how it worked for me.
Perfect, now it makes sense for the converter hookup

Not that I would do it as the converter is the best route so it draws off the whole pack but what if one wanted to hook up an accessory without one? How would you get 12v? Would you have to tie in somewhere to get a 12v neg feed as the 12v pos would be off #4?
Old 10-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Perfect, now it makes sense for the converter hookup

Not that I would do it as the converter is the best route so it draws off the whole pack but what if one wanted to hook up an accessory without one? How would you get 12v? Would you have to tie in somewhere to get a 12v neg feed as the 12v pos would be off #4?
What I did was steal 12 volts from the 9 pin connector in the dash. I won't have to once I finish my converter install.

You can also just hook up to batt # 4 and get your 12 volts that way. This is what we are advoiding with the converter.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #16
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
What I did was steal 12 volts from the 9 pin connector in the dash. I won't have to once I finish my converter install.

You can also just hook up to batt # 4 and get your 12 volts that way. This is what we are advoiding with the converter.
Wasn't sure if I could use the neg post and pos post on #4 to get 12v.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #17
1BDPRECEDENT
Gone Wild

Club Car

As Stevec3201 said, they are beautifully built machines and they look good too. Unfortunately the world of the aftermarket has been unkind to the Precedent. It is not all bad though, it allows you to use your creativity and create on of a kind parts. We as humans tend to take the easy way out and bolt on something out of a box. I get a greater sense of accomplishment knowing that I made that with my own two hands and that it doesn't look like the one the guy next to me has.
1BDPRECEDENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #18
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:

I hope that makes sense.

After working at an auto dealership for 20yrs, I will have to learn the ground rules Let me see if I have this correct. Since I have the factory light kit installed on my cart already and is plugged into the factory harness, it gets its pos feed from battery #4 and the ground feed from the carts factory harness which must trace back to battery #4 as well, correct?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #19
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:

Stevec3201,

I think I am following your explanation above. When you say "Connect 12 v pos to unused blue/white wire" and "Connect neg to unused black wire" you are referencing the positive wire of the #1 battery and the negative wire of battery #4, is that correct? or are you saying that the converter's positive and negative are attached to the positive and negative of the two affected batteries?

I am confused. What if you need a bucket harness as in my case?

ZackMan
ZackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car