lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
colbyave
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question Loosing Power on hills

I have a 97 gas club car and over the past 6 months have been having trouble. Started with belts squeeling and reduction of power. I replaced all the belts, plug, fuel filters, changes oil, blew out clutch assy, replaced fuel pump and the squealing kind of went away but the cart continues to lose power and now can't hardly make it up the hills we use to fly up. Any ideas? Appreciate some guidance on what to look for. Thanks Charlie
colbyave is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
stinger5
Gone Wild

Default Re: Loosing Power on hills

I would suggest a compression test Charlie, you should be seeing 150psi + at WOT on a good engine. It seems you have covered most of your bases but another thing would be to check your valve clearances. 005 - 007" @TDC is my usual setting. Also pay attention to the air intake system, CC's are very susceptible to any type of splits, cracks or poor sealing of the air filter box and intake hose. The squealing was most likely caused by the SG belt, this is fairly common. One other thing I would be looking for is the transition of the clutches. Set your cart in maintenance mode and run her through the rev range while you observe the clutches and belt. You should see a smooth, linear change as the revs increase and the belt should rise to the top of the drive clutch and drop to the bottom of the driven at higher RPM's.
stinger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
colbyave
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well this makes sense. I have noticed some metal noise getting louder and there may be issues with the clutch or the valves. It has backfired a couple times but only a few times. I'm not sure how to set the cart in Maintenance mode. I'm assuming there's a setting on the clutch assy so the power doesn't transmit to the drive axle? I have jacked up the rear in the past and run the throttle and it ran good just no power when running. I guess I'll check the air intake again as i did this about two months ago and all looked good. I had the assy apart but will check again. Could it maybe be the carb? I did a quick clean on this but didn't take completly apart. Really appreciate the guidance. Thanks a million... Charlie
Old 12-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i would also suggest a compression test but i would also take a good long look at the clutches if your hearing them its just possible your problem is there.....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
colbyave
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Tom. I'll also check them. Appreciate the expertise.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

colby, I believe on that cart to set into maintenance mode you put the cart in neutral, lift the seat and there is a plastic cam the micro switches ride on, gentry pull that towards the rear of the cart and spin it until it drops back down. This allows the cart to start in neutral. Repeat the above to put it back normal. If it will already start in neutral, ignore what I said :)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
stinger5
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
colby, I believe on that cart to set into maintenance mode you put the cart in neutral, lift the seat and there is a plastic cam the micro switches ride on, gentry pull that towards the rear of the cart and spin it until it drops back down. This allows the cart to start in neutral. Repeat the above to put it back normal. If it will already start in neutral, ignore what I said :)
Yep, it's right behind the forward/reverse lever usually under a plastic flap.A yellow cam. Pull it out and turn it 180 degrees then let it slip into place again. This will disengage the rear differential.
stinger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I'm not sure if it will disengage the rear but it will let it start in neutral.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #9
colbyave
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Went and bought a commpression tester yesterday and will work on the cart this weekend. Thanks for all the help and will let you know how I make out. Also i priced a clutch assy and looks to be about $210.00. Sound like a good price?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyave View Post
Went and bought a commpression tester yesterday and will work on the cart this weekend. Thanks for all the help and will let you know how I make out. Also i priced a clutch assy and looks to be about $210.00. Sound like a good price?
yeah thats ballpark for retail.........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car