lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
Foam Man
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Arrow 95 Club Car-Starter Question

I just purchased a 95 Club Car, gas model cart. The starter/generator is bad and I was wanting input on wether to buy an OEM model or import model. I have also seen a starter rebuild kit, consisting of brushes and other parts. Is that a viable option? Is it difficult to do?
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JC

Last edited by Foam Man; 02-25-2012 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: Wrong year
Foam Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2012, 05:04 AM   #2
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: 95 Club Car-Starter Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foam Man View Post
I just purchased a 95 Club Car, gas model cart. The starter/generator is bad and I was wanting input on wether to buy an OEM model or import model. I have also seen a starter rebuild kit, consisting of brushes and other parts. Is that a viable option? Is it difficult to do?
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JC
Why do you think the S/G is bad ? A description of what is happening (or not) would be useful. These things are pretty bullet proof for the most part with brushes and belt tension / wear being the obvious weak links but other than that they are usually very reliable

FC.
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Foam Man
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the response!

Let me preface this by saying that this is my first cart. Outside of driving them on the golf course (inebriated) I have no previous experience.
I picked this thing up for $600.00, ran it by the golf cart shop and the mechanic was nice enough to do a quick look-see, without the boss man knowing about it. The mechanic didn't spend a bunch of time on it, but he ran the volt meter on it real quick and was able to determine that the cart is getting 12volts to the solenoid and out of it to the s/g. The solenoid is clicking when you step on the peddle, but the s/g doesn't do anything outside of maybe a small twitch.

The mechanic recommended that I purchase a new solenoid and s/g, but they didn't have the s/g, that I needed in stock. The "Boss Man" showed up and told me to save some money and have my s/g rebuilt by somebody.

Since my first post, I spent some time on this forum last night, and I have determined that today I'm going to make sure my battery is fully charged, cross the terminals on the solenoid and see what happens from there.

That's it, in a nutshell.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

1st i,m glad you stopped here before just buying a starter...........as fastcarter said they are just about bulletproof.......if the cart isn,t charging and your 100% certain the battery is good than the next thing would be the voltage regulator and that may be the only issue......you can also look at the brushes in the starter, there are 4 rubber inspection boots you can pop off and see if the brushes are worn down and if so you replace the brushes................there is almost nil of a chance you have to replace the whole starter..............also the starter belt has to be good and tight..........but lets just say your voltage regulator and starter brushes are bad......total cost should be approx 125.00 and that includes labor..............if your going to have someone do the work on your cart ask around and please make sure you get someone you can trust............if you can use a digital voltage meter there is a 30 second test to see if your cart is charging but 1st make certain you have a good battery...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
Foam Man
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

UPDATE

Ok, I just came out from under the seat.

The battery is good. I replaced the solenoid, nothing changed. I hit the starter with a rubber hammer, and it started turning over. On to the brushes, I guess?
Old 02-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

ok ones you get it where its turning over than check charging system to make sure its ok....................................
Old 02-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Foam Man
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Shadowman,
Can you enlighten me on how to do this? You may have to break it down to Barney Style..LOL
Old 02-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yes with cart running in maintence mode just just a voltage meter at battery and watch voltage as you press gas pedal .............your voltage should rise from 12 + voltas up to but not over 15 .3 volts i beleive and anything lower than 13.9 or 15 . 3 theres a good chance the voltage regulator isn,t working............................
Old 02-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
Foam Man
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Shadowman. I've busy this evening, but I will give it a try the first chance I get and I'll let you know.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i said that a bit wrong......with cart in maintence mode your voltage shoud be between 13.9 as you 1st start revving and as you get to WOT voltage should also rise up to 15.3 or so.......anywhere in between 13.9 and 15.3 is good............................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car