lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '85 Fuel Problems

Thinking we may be getting to the fuel pump next. I've fiddled with the air/fuel mix screw, and have the cart running occasionally at its insane speed - but still need to ride the choke.

Grrrrrr. Though checking the fuel flow, it isn't jetting out of the hose - not even a fast stream, more of a solid trickle. Gah!
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Geez - can I change the title of my thread.

Obviously been a while since I looked close at the cart - it's a 92 with a 3PG engine.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

One more note - when I went to get the new fuel filter, I was given the one that "all the carts use" which looks like the filter for the 93-up four strokes. Although the inlets are fine, it is substantially smaller, and is always full, unlike the old one which usually ran about 1/2 to 3/4 full.

Although when I put the new filter on, the cart still sputtered, the carb was subsequently cleaned. Could the new fuel filter now be giving me the same symptoms as a dirty carb (i.e. restricting fuel flow)? Noting a reduced flow suggests it could either be the filter, pump, or an air leak at the tank (thinking this is the most unlikely).

This is what I had:

This is what they gave me:

Haha, answering my own questions. As per the EZ Go website:

•This fuel filter is NOT to be used on E-Z-GO ST 480 and ST 4x4 Vehicles or 2-Cycle Vehicles

NOT in all caps. So I took out a dirty filter, replaced it with a clean one that is no good, cleaned my carb three times, and spent a big waste of time on my cart.

Dude at the parts store is getting a talking to.....and I hope this is all this is.....

Last edited by ScooterMcTavish; 08-06-2013 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Added Photos
Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #14
loudgoldwing
Not Yet Wild

Scoot you're dead on correct.

Kid at the local Farm and Fleet sold me the identical fuel filter, and the cart treated it like it was trying to drink a milkshake through a coffee stir-stick.

I also had a quarter-sized melt hole in the black corrugated plastic air filter pipe that the previous owner had repaired with electrical tape. The tape failed, and the cart ran sluggishly unless/until I choked it. You'd do well to thoroughly inspect everything between the air filter and the carb, if the fuel filter replacement doesn't do the trick.

And while you're at it, loosen the nuts between your head pipe and muffler to make some noise. Do you happen to get a bad mid-range gurgle-sputter? I'm just askin'. :)
loudgoldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ran the cart home from the course today, and when I do get it running, and have the choke at 1/2, the cart flies as unsafely as one with a fully winched back governor.

Fuel pressure seems OK as well, now that the engine is drinking it's fuel through a 5/16 inlet and not a 1/4 one.

However, now that there's adequate fuel going to the engine, I can see we do have some weeping at what looks like the bottom of the jug on the rear (valve side) of the engine. I'm wondering if the bolts holding the jug to the crankcase have worked themselves loose over the last two years.

Looks like it's time to tear it down a bit this weekend. And yes, did loosen the muffler, to no improvement. Which makes sense as I BBQd it when I rebuilt it.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #16
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

And finally, done.

Jug was loose on the crankcase. Guess two years of vibration will make that happen.

At least the carb is clean, the fuel filter is new, and all other sundry bolts have been tightened.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #17
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

and who called that in post #6? oh wait it was me

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
and who called that in post #6? oh wait it was me

Dave
LOL, I felt like your avatar trying to figger this one out. Thanks Dave.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Gargh!

And apparently due to the cart being run with a loose jug, the gasket between the jug and the crankcase was destroyed.

The clue was the weeping out of the front side of the motor combined with a piece of gasket sticking out. Even more distressing was also a thin piece of metal sticking out as well - no idea where this came from!!!

So, any solutions here? Guessing the motor has to come out, jug has to come off, and the case needs to be regasketed. Or, anyone else have any other solutions?

And for gaskets, back to the POS paper one, or is a permatex gasket solution a better idea?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO