lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
cmar143
Gone Wild

Default What does second solenoid do on 02 DS model?

I am trying to help somebody out that has a 2002 DS 48V cart and it's one of those rare models with 2 solenoids. Basically nothing happens when you press on the gas pedal... The main solenoid opens and is allowing 48V to pass over it but the second is not. The second one has a resistor attached and controls power to the white wire going to the motor. Should that solenoid make contact at the same time as the main one? I have not worked on any of these model carts and so I don't know what the job of the extra solenoid is. If anyone could give me a quick run down of the purpose of that solenoid and what activates it I would appreciate it, thanks!
cmar143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: What does second solenoid do on 02 DS model?

The second solenoid is the regen braking solenoid, don't know the particulars of when it activates (other than on deceleration) but I do know a lot of folks bypass them because they have proved troublesome.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

You can by pass that solenoid by putting a jumper cable on the two large post. Or just hook them both on the same post.Then just unhook and small wires and tape them so they will not short. If everything works the solenoid is bad. You can replace it or just leave it jumped. You may want to unhook the speed sensor, if not when you let off the pedal it will really slow down quickly.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:06 AM   #4
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

from the manual

DYNAMIC BRAKING SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT
The Dynamic Braking Control Circuit directs the current that is generated by the motor to either the batteries
or the dynamic braking resistor coil (energy displacement module). When the batteries are at or near full
charge, the dynamic braking solenoid will shut off when the motor is generating energy, sending the current
to the resistor coil. After the batteries have discharged to the point that they can accept a regenerative
charge, the dynamic braking solenoid will stay on when the motor is generating energy, sending current
directly to the batteries.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
cmar143
Gone Wild

Thanks for the replies. So if the regen solenoid turns off and on depending on if the batteries are charged or not, it should not be preventing the cart from operating correctly? I mean if it is not working the cart should still move when the gas pedal is pressed? The owner was explaining that the cart speeds started to become erratic with it taking a long time to get up to speed first. And then soon after it would take off very fast and then slow down quickly. Not long after that it stopped working all together. I have seen another cart do the same thing and the controller was bad. Is there a definitive way to test the controller to see if it's bad? Thanks
Old 12-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

If the solenoid does not close the white motor cable is not connected. The power would have to go through the resistor coil. It will not carry enough amps. If you put both white cables on the same post you will rule the solenoid in or out. Then you can look else where.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

A 2002 model doesn't have a second solenoid. What's the serial number?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:53 AM   #8
cmar143
Gone Wild

A0022-893991

Thanks mrgolf I bet that is where the problem lies then. So when you press on the gas both solenoids should close allowing power to flow across them and when battery pack get low and you let off pedal regen solenoid closes and reroutes voltage back to pack? I will have to go bypass the solenoid and see if thats the problem today. Thanks

BTW any chance anyone has the part number for that solenoid? The closest one that I can find that looks the same is 1018836-01 but the main copper terminals look too close together in the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141205_132350.jpg (231.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-08-2014, 06:29 AM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

It's a 2000 model, not a 2002. You've got the Regen2 drive system. Bypass the dynamic braking solenoid and see what happens. Mr Golf is on the right track. When the dynamic braking solenoid doesn't work power must flow through the resistor coil. It can't carry enough amps and results in your symptoms. A replacement solenoid is a 101908701
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car