lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
pat fowler
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Battery issue

I have a 03 DS 48v that I had new US batteries installed in 9/1/14. Hooked up my charger after ever use and checked water and all connections 1st of each month. All has been fine until two weeks ago when I unplugged it and went to back out of my shop and it chattered in reverse. Had never done so before. I pulled forward and it was okay, backup again and it seemed fine but when I pulled away it seemed sluggish. I went on a short (10 min.) ride and back to my shop. Checked individual battery voltages, 1-6.5,2 at 7.5 and the other 3-8.4. I plugged it back in and the next day unplugged it and waited 12 hours to recheck. Got about the same results. I took it and my charger to the place that replaced the batteries and they are now doing a charge and testing. Guy said that he did not feel that this might not be just a battery issue because they had been off charge long enough that the good and bad batteries should have equalized and all should have been reading low but about the same number. I am waiting for him to finish checking things out and get back with me but I wanted to have some knowledge before he calls. He seemed to be wanting to blame something besides the batteries. Would appreciate any responses, what do you guys think ? Thanks, Pat.
pat fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery issue

Quote:
Guy said that he did not feel that this might not be just a battery issue because they had been off charge long enough that the good and bad batteries should have equalized and all should have been reading low but about the same number
That is not correct, You would need a "complete" circuit for current to flow across the batteries, which would not happen with the cart off.

That Battery #1 is dead and it will need to be replaced. If that was the battery the pack positive was connected to, than likely You had the red wire from the charger socket connected to the wrong battery and it never got a charge.

The batteries at 7.5v are pretty low but may be salvaged.

Do you have any lights or accessories plugged to just a few batteries (instead of a 48->12v reducer)?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #3
pat fowler
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

No, I have a 12v reducer that is hooked to the first and last batteries just as the leads to the motor are. I do have a led clock that is hooked up to two batteries for 16v but those batteries are showing 8.4 each. I feel that I have one dead battery and two that are close to dead. These are all new, I don't see how a charging or wiring issue would only affect some batteries and not all batteries. I think I have been sold some batteries with issues that should be replaced under warranty. He may call and say so but the way he was talking makes me suspicious that he is trying to push the blame onto the cart and not on his batteries. I just want to be prepared with some info before he calls with his test results. Thanks for the reply. Pat.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I don't see how a charging or wiring issue would only affect some batteries and not all batteries.
A common mistake is to connect the red wire from the charger socket to the battery before the pack positive one.

The charger will only charge 5 batteries in this case, but that is only a possibility if the 6.5v volts was the battery the pack positive was connected to.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
pat fowler
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I'll have to check on that, right now it is over at the shop that installed the batteries. Thanks again. Pat.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #6
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

If it is wired wrong, they wired it. I take it you didn't replace the batteries yourself. And just being 3mo old they should have replaced it no questions asked.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #7
pat fowler
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I agree, am waiting to hear from them, should know something Monday. I can not be sure, but from memory it seems that the wire from the charger was going to the front corner battery but the battery pack wires both go to the back opposite corners. I will have to double check with the shop on Monday. Thanks, Pat.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #8
pat fowler
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Sergio, should the red wires from the charger port go to the same post as the cables that go to the motor ? Pat.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:24 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The red wire from the charger port should go to pack positive, which is the only positive battery post not connected to another battery post.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #10
pat fowler
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Just as a follow up, shop said that the #1 battery had a bad cell and is being replaced under warranty. This was good to hear, at least from my prospective, means that my cart had no other problem ! Thanks to everyone for all the replies. Pat.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car