lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Indiana Brad
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZ GO RXV Hooked up radio now batteries quitting

2009 RXV 48V (4 batteries)

Ok so I knew better, but I hooked up my radio to the first battery in my rxv (12V) and also my lights. I installed light kit with turns, etc.

Now I charge my cart up 100% and it runs as strong as ever, but once I get down to about half charge, it all of a sudden drops to zero charge and I have no juice to go. I've only had the cart for a short time and in the very beginning before the radio I could go two or three days on one charge, whether it be golfing, cruising the camp grounds, or both.

So now I'm going to buy a 12V marine battery and move both my lights and my stereo over to the extra battery. (Note my stereo has no amplifier or anything extra so didn't expect too much draw)

I want some suggestions on what I should do as far as getting everything back in line? Just put the cart back on charge once I change my wires over to the new battery? Or do I need to put the single battery that I've been pulling extra power for radio and lights on a seperate charger before I then try to recharge all 4? Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks for any insight!!!
Indiana Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ GO RXV Hooked up radio now batteries quitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Brad View Post
2009 RXV 48V (4 batteries)

Ok so I knew better, but I hooked up my radio to the first battery in my rxv (12V) and also my lights. I installed light kit with turns, etc.

Now I charge my cart up 100% and it runs as strong as ever, but once I get down to about half charge, it all of a sudden drops to zero charge and I have no juice to go. I've only had the cart for a short time and in the very beginning before the radio I could go two or three days on one charge, whether it be golfing, cruising the camp grounds, or both.

So now I'm going to buy a 12V marine battery and move both my lights and my stereo over to the extra battery. (Note my stereo has no amplifier or anything extra so didn't expect too much draw)

I want some suggestions on what I should do as far as getting everything back in line? Just put the cart back on charge once I change my wires over to the new battery? Or do I need to put the single battery that I've been pulling extra power for radio and lights on a seperate charger before I then try to recharge all 4? Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks for any insight!!!
I don't know diddly squat about RXVs, but I do know a wee bit about batteries and it sounds to me like you are killing yours.

Wet-cell, lead-acid, deep cycle batteries last longer when they are kept charged to the highest State of Charge that is possible or practical.

In a nutshell, if you use the cart during the day, it should be put on charge that night.
Running it two or three days without charging and.or running the batteries down to 50% SoC is shortening their life expectancy.

Here are a couple of charts, the first showing battery voltage vs SOC (after the batteries have rested for 12 hours) and the second is life expectancy vs average SOC.

As for equalizing the batteries in you pack, measure the voltage of each and charge each separately until all of the voltages are close to equal. (+/- 0.05V or so)
Then charge with 48V charger and remeasure the individual voltages about 12 hours after it automatically shuts off.
If they aren't within about 0.1 volt, try charging the low one(s) some more with a 12V charger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StateofChargeChart.jpg (53.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SoC vs Theoretical Charge cycles with Voltages.JPG (119.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Indiana Brad
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I don't know diddly squat about RXVs, but I do know a wee bit about batteries and it sounds to me like you are killing yours.

Wet-cell, lead-acid, deep cycle batteries last longer when they are kept charged to the highest State of Charge that is possible or practical.

In a nutshell, if you use the cart during the day, it should be put on charge that night.
Running it two or three days without charging and.or running the batteries down to 50% SoC is shortening their life expectancy.

Here are a couple of charts, the first showing battery voltage vs SOC (after the batteries have rested for 12 hours) and the second is life expectancy vs average SOC.

As for equalizing the batteries in you pack, measure the voltage of each and charge each separately until all of the voltages are close to equal. (+/- .05V or so)
Then charge with 48V charger and remeasure the individual voltages about 12 hours after it automatically shuts off.
If they aren't within about 0.1 volt, try charging the low one(s) some more with a 12V charger.
JohnnieB I appreciate the attached information as well as the idea of getting the voltages all back close to the same voltage wise. That makes good sense. Also I understand about running the batteries down. What I meant was I could have gone for two or three days on one charge. Not that I did. I could use my cart for three, four, even five hours in a day and when I put it on charge at night it was still showing better than 75% charged. Sorry for the miscommunication and Thanks again for the info! I will do that!
Indiana Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
rlsdmd12
Not Yet Wild

Indiana Brad -
I'm thinking that since your vehicle did not come stock with accesories(lights, signals, radio, etc) that it does not have a DC DC converter(voltage reducer). This will bring the 48v down to a usable 12v for accessories. (The converter has 12v output) It will also ensure that all batteries are pulled on equally and negate need for "extra" battery for accessories.
rlsdmd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have 2 RXV's and do not have a problem running accessories off of a single battery. The only difference I see is I run the accessories off the 2 or 3 battery. Not the 1 or 4 battery. I take my lifted cart with 23" tires with the family out for 30 mile rides with no problems. On and off road. Extra battery is just more weight your cart has to move. If problem continues I would get a DC-DC reducer 48volt-12volt. They can be found for about the price of a good marine grade battery.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

What was your pack voltage before you charged it after it stopped? New batteries take some time to break in. They will get stronger as you charge them. A good rule of thumb is if you have pedal time for more then 10min CHARGE IT!
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO