lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: RXV Brake "Dragging" & smells

The 08 carts had major issues with the motor brake and especially the ones with the handle. I had one do the same thing yours did and replaced it and the problem went away. I believe there was also an issue with the solenoids that activated them but I have only replaced the brake.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
LuvMyTJ
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgenes View Post
I got the EZGO 610065 from M&D Mower & Appliance (m-and-d.com) for $201.87 including shipping, etc.

It did fix the problem, but I still get a "rubbing" sound from that or the bearings perhaps - it is worse at low speed with partial throttle - or even coasting it seems. Haven't figured out what that is yet.

I did find that you put nothing between the brake and the motor housing - but do clean it up good.

Are you having a similiar problem?
No, but I am this close to buying a 2008 RVX and I want to get as much knowledge about it before dropping my cash. I am figuring out cost for the "what if" things that may come up. $200 isn't too bad. The solenoids have all been changed but the brake unit is original.
LuvMyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Mine "talks" as well at low speed but quiets down. Think it is just the nature of these carts.. Brake units, front a-arm bushings and rear hubs tend to be the wear points that I have seen. TJ, you been to Painted Post yet to check out a 4 wheel drive kit for carts ?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
LuvMyTJ
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Mine "talks" as well at low speed but quiets down. Think it is just the nature of these carts.. Brake units, front a-arm bushings and rear hubs tend to be the wear points that I have seen. TJ, you been to Painted Post yet to check out a 4 wheel drive kit for carts ?
Haven't been to PP in a long time. Whats the kit you speak of?
LuvMyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #15
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Don't want to jack the thread but one of the sponsors Imaginative Manufacturing Inc is in pp.. http://www.imaginativemfg.com/imaginativemfg6_004.htm They build 4X4 kits for carts
Old 09-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
2manytoyz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Just got my 2009 RXV back from the dealer today. Sent it off because it had a noise that sounded very much like a dragging brake shoe coming from the right rear wheel. I know it doesn't have conventional brakes, but the sound was there despite that. The tech came by the house, took a ride in the cart, and heard the same thing. I mentioned it might be a axle bearing.

He returned it today, and said the hub was a bit loose. Tightened it up, replaced an out of round tire, and reprogrammed the controller as requested. Cart came with a 90 day warranty, and they're very willing to make things right.

For now the noise is gone. I'll continue testing it this week to verify it's fixed.

I know it's a bit late, but there is a YouTube video showing how to remove and replace the parking brake assembly from an RXV. Essentially disconnect the cable, undo 3 bolts.

Mine does have the lever on it. The dealer said that's a manual bypass if the parking brake fails. Pull it and it should click and stay in the unlocked position until pushed back.

What I'm unsure of is if the parking brake is only that. My assumption is the braking is all via the motor, and the parking brake is essentially a lock. Once stopped, it engages. Does not provide braking so to speak. If someone knows for sure, I'd like to hear details. The brakes on mine do work very well, enough to lock up the rear wheels.
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #17
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I have been told the brakes with the handle were to be treated kindly. Cart guys would shove that handle too far and fubar the brake. If you treat it well, you should be ok and it is my understanding that this is a parking brake only.. Add hub tightening to your periodic maintenance..
Old 09-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #18
2manytoyz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

With a castle nut, and a cotter pin, how can the hubs become loose?
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

As those splined hubs are used for moving the cart as well as stoping the cart, they wear.. Metal flexes

Tags
brake, drag, rxv, smell, stink
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO