lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Bo799
Not Yet Wild

Default Do you leave cart unattended while charging?

Just got a new to me 99 series 36v txt. Great forum. I have really learned a lot about the cart and how to spend a truck load of money making it right.
My cart stays in a building on the family property 7mi away. I have been hesitant to leave it charging while I am away. So I never have a fully charged cart. I know it is a pile of mechanical stuff and anything can go wrong, but is there any real risk to leave it charging overnight? There is a lot of crap in the building that I can't afford to replace if something burned it all down. So what do y'all do?
Thanks
Bo799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Do you leave cart unattended while charging?

I charge mine overnight all the time unattended. It's charging right now :-). Not keeping the batteries fully charged as much as possible will kill them in short order.
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Here's a thought for you, buy a timer that plugs into your outlet and then the charger plugs into the timer. That way if for some reason the charger does not turn off automatically the timer will shut it off. Just set the timer to go off in 12 hours or something like that.
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Hundreds of thousands of golf carts are recharging in the dark unattended tonight as we sleep. You very rarely ever hear of a fire from one. It is much more likely your electric panel or your water heater will start a fire than your golf cart. Both the cart and the charger have fuses. Keep your batteries charged up & Sleep well.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Bo799
Not Yet Wild

Thanks I will go by and plug it in in the am.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Go check it again on your way home, A bad battery can keep the pack from reaching the cut off voltage mark (45-46v). Once you see that it will actually shut off get in the habit of charging regularly... this first complete charge may take quite some time... 10-12 hours since they are in such a need.
The charger should time out and shut off in 16hrs. regardless.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
Bo799
Not Yet Wild

Thanks scottyb. I have been able to get a couple of full charges on it. I go out to the shop and work on stuff a good bit. I just got done with soldering up all new cables. Batteries seem good. I feel better about leaving it charging now. It will be nice to have it full when I arrive.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

In addition to the good advice already given, chargers tend to run pretty warm and attract lint, leaves, cobwebs and rat's nests, so pop the cover and clean them out occasionally.

I got a double handful of trash (and I've got big hands) out of my old PW II the first time I opened it.

If your charger isn't vented, it's probably clean inside, but if the case has louvers in it, critters can get into it and build a nice warm home for the winter.
That's what happened to me.

Don't go hog wild, just a few shakes while inverted and a gentle breeze will suffice.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Bo799
Not Yet Wild

Good advice also. I got two chargers with the cart. One would not turn on (bad relay). I removed the relay and replaced it for $3.00 and the charger worked. It was pretty dirty so I cleaned it up and that made me clean up the other one too. Funny how you learn some lessons with new stuff. At least this time the lesson didn't cost me anything. :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO