lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
CJones
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Radio install...please help

Ok, just got a motorcycle type of stereo with amp and 2 speakers. It sounds and works great when I tested it directly hooked it to the battery. However, I bought a 12v lawnmower battery to run the power off of. When it's hooked to the battery, the power stays on. Is there a toggle switch or something I can do so I can cut the power off and on without have to raise the seat and disconnect the wires? Also planning to run the lights off the same lawnmower battery. It's an rxv if that helps anyone. Im anxious to get this stereo singing! Thanks!
CJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
JasonsGolfCarts
Getting Wild

Default Re: Radio install...please help

Yes, there should be a yellow wire that is supposed to be run through the key switch. You can install a toggle switch in this lead and it will only be on when the switch is activated. If you are not concerned about saving stations in the stereos memory you can run the red and yellow through the same toggle switch and the stereo will not be pulling any power while the switch is off. As for the amp, there is a wire (cannot remember typical color but someone else will fill in) on the stereo that you run to the amp that will switch the amp on/off with the stereo.
JasonsGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
CJones
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for your help! The amp has a black and red wire...no yellow. The speaker set is only for mp3 hookup, so I'm not worried about saving stations or radio memory. I tried hooking it up to a toggle switch and it started smoking and sparking. As you can see, I'm not the brightest star in the sky when it comes to this! Would a picture of what I'm working with help?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No negative goes to the toggle switch(unless it is a lighted one- there will be a diagram printed on the swtch). It goes to the head unit. Constant hot goes to the head unit. Switched hot goes to the switch on one pole and out to the head unit on the other.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsGolfCarts View Post
Yes, there should be a yellow wire that is supposed to be run through the key switch. You can install a toggle switch in this lead and it will only be on when the switch is activated. If you are not concerned about saving stations in the stereos memory you can run the red and yellow through the same toggle switch and the stereo will not be pulling any power while the switch is off. As for the amp, there is a wire (cannot remember typical color but someone else will fill in) on the stereo that you run to the amp that will switch the amp on/off with the stereo.
The memory wire also saves bass, treble, balance, etc.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
CJones
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Do I need to make the wires the same length? When I put the pos. line to the toggle switch it makes it about 12" longer than the neg. I don't know if that makes any difference.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
TheAspec
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJones View Post
Do I need to make the wires the same length? When I put the pos. line to the toggle switch it makes it about 12" longer than the neg. I don't know if that makes any difference.
Makes no difference.
TheAspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO