lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
sniper802
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO Marathon microswitch help

I have an 82 Marathon resistor cart that has a replaced solenoid, new motor, new batteries. It was running till accident with motor, so I had it replaced and now cart goes in reverse but not forward. Solenoid clicks in Reverse but not forward, so I think it is the micro switch. Any idea which one, and how do you bypass them. My F&R has only one micro switch.Thanku in advance
sniper802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Marathon microswitch help

The M/S works in forward so make sure it is being activated in reverse too. after that I might suspect your F&R main contacts.

Did you say solenoid was clicking in F&R?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
sniper802
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My Cart goes in Reverse but not forward. The solenoid clicks in reverse. So if I replaced the F&R switch totally do u think it would run again?
Old 08-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If the solenoid is clicking only in the direction the cart Goes, then that is the problem

Make the solenoid click in F&R and the cart will go F&R. See?
It is the solenoid activation that is failing in forward, so look at the micro switch and see why it only sends the signal in reverse.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
sniper802
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok so can I bypass it? because I believe it is broken. f I cant I will work on replacing it.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper802 View Post
Ok so can I bypass it? because I believe it is broken. f I cant I will work on replacing it.
The microswitch was put on the F/R control to keep you from make/breaking the high current contacts while current was flowing through the motor.
Not a real good idea to bypass it, unless you want to be replacing the F/R contacts.

Anyway, the microswitch is working in one direction, so it doesn't need to be replaced.
Problem is most likely that the F/R cam is not rotating to the right spot to release the switch lever arm, or one of the indentations on the cam is full of debris.
(There are two valleys on the edge of the F/R switch Cam that the roller on the microswitch lever drops into, allowing the N/C contacts to close.)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
sniper802
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I see what you are talking about but the roller drops in both positions with no problems, so could it be one of the studs on the FNR switch, or maybe put a wire on incorrectly on solenoid?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the solenoid clicks on one direction but not the other, the problem is mechanical rather than electrical.

If the wiring was bad or not connected right, the solenoid wouldn't click in either direction.

Like Scotty said, get the solenoid to click in both F and R and the cart will go in both F and R. (Unless there are additional problems)
Whether the F/R studs are good or bad is a separate issue.

If both indentations on the F/R cam are free of debris and the roller is dropping into them when the F/R lever is is F or R, try adjusting the microswitch body further away from the cam or bending lever arm so the roller is closer to microswitch body.
If that doesn't solve the problem, try replacing microswitch.

There is a small spring inside the microswitch that closes the NC contacts and there might be enough difference in the depths of the two indentations on the F/R cam that it toggles the switch in one, but not the other. Here is a cutaway of a microswitch, showing the little bitty spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Microswitch- 600x750 with labels.JPG (48.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO