lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Controllers/motors/cables straighten me out

For Scottyb and or JohnnieB, the most valued/soutafter advisorers on the sight.. just when I think I have things right, I read and read until I'm lost again.
Scottyb, you mention the #909 pkg, I read the 909, and it says programmable, 36-48v, having read that, programmable from you and only you, or is it changable, say to use this year and next at 36v, and when I buy new batteries 8-6v, I can reprogram it to 48v..???
Second, I'm understanding, the motor doesn't care the voltage sent, just the amperage!!? It says suitable for aftermarket motors, so I can use the stock motor with the 909.
What increase in torque is there with the 909, none mention, none persude..?
Cables i'm good with, just buy the biggest, badest ones out there, that one was easy..

p.s. secondary shout out to Bigstik, camaroluvz28, and others that have helped me in my confusing learning trail..
bigpoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Controllers/motors/cables straighten me out

Anyone can can access the set up and controller program. The software is free at alltrax.com. The cable is at your local computer supply store.

I program all the controllers that I sell. I can set it up for 36v now and 48v later. You can run your stock motor with a 500a controller if you can be responsible with the peddle (amperage).

Over the last 2 years I have only had one customer tell me the 500a control burned up his motor and he said he gave the cart to 2 teenage boys and it took them 9 months to do it...... I'm not at surprised by the result.

Lets hear what others have to say ....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I concur. Get the 500 have Scotty program it at about 80% then when you get the new batteries for the 48 volt set up you can download the programing software and tune it up. I would think about a better motor before upping it to full power at the 48 volt range with the bigger tires you are running.

You can do this in stages with no harmful return as long as you as the driver respect it. Like Scotty said a kid or stranger isn't going to know the rules and will floor it when ever they get the chance. That's why rental cars and carts are so beat up. "Its not mine so who cares".
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppi View Post
..............Second, I'm understanding, the motor doesn't care the voltage sent, just the amperage!!?..............
Actually it is Watts that makes the motor shaft go round and round.
Volts time Amps Equals Watts --- And approximately 746W (745.699872 to be precise) equals 1 mechanical Horsepower (SAE).

Please note that when you are accelerating or climbing a hill, the power (kW) not being converted mechanical energy (motor RPM) is converted to heat, so with a high power controller (36V or 48V), a heavy foot on the throttle will burn up a stock motor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

In reality, 1 out of hundreds of BGW users did have kids who managed to burn up a motor in just 9 months of abuse.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
bigpoppi
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

So, it's cool for me to get the 2g cables and the #909 this winter, programmed for 36v, install and wait til next winter and grab the batteries and motor... All my wifes kids are grown and out of the house, so no worries of them hammering the peddle. Plus, I use it so infrequently, but like my truck, when I want the power and torque, I want it...

At first, I mentioned to Scottyb, I was looking to hit the 30mph mark... but after climbing a few average to steep grade hills at the campground, the concern of torque has reared it's ugly head. I was under the impression the 909 and upping to 48v's would get me there(30mph), or close. Now, and this is just a guess from reading, this will get me more torque too..?? Is there a motor I should look into when the time comes to upgrade, that's torque and speed balanced, hi torque, hi speed???

Also, thanx Spawnand johhny for adding... I believe in many opinions, aka 2 cents, to come to an eventuall finally, or purchase.. took me 9 months and 50 '2 cent' inputs to figure out what projector to buy and am very happy...

And as always, Scottyb thanx and I'll be ordering this winter...
bigpoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO