lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
jtb51b
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 EZGO resistor cart problem

OK, long and short-- bought a used cart, replaced the batteries and cables and while it was down had the lugs that the power wires connect to on the motor replaced. Electric motor shop did the work. Now, when I hook it back up I get a properly functioning forward but when I select reverse it arcs at the F-N-R switch. I have double checked the wiring and can't seem to find a mistake. I am using the wiring diagrams from the stickies. What could be going on here? The cart ran and drove fine before, just the batteries were very weak. Any ideas on where to start tracing this thing? I am going to check the FNR with an ohm meter with the batteries dico'd but I dont know what else to check..

Jason
jtb51b is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 EZGO resistor cart problem

Is the F&R being intermittent? Can you wiggle the handle and make it arc or interrupt service while driving?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
jtb51b
Not Yet Wild

It did one time on the first ride. After that no, I just pulled the FNR down and it appears to be working correctly. It shifts the contacts as it should.. I did tighten the handle up a bit to make it functional after I had already taken it apart. Would a loose/faulty FNR cause arcing? It was arcing pretty badly, very scary with it being fully charged and in my basement. But, the ignition switch did stop the arcing so maybe its not as bad as I think..

I am putting the FNR switch back in now.. BTW the contacts on the FNR were slightly burned/melted on one set of the contacts.

Jason
Old 08-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

likely you found your problem....

CAUTION

Wet cell batteries produce hydrogen gas, it is very explosive. One spark in the gas is all it takes to blow the lid of a battery or 2.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
jtb51b
Not Yet Wild

I may have stumbled upon another problem.. Looking at the diagram I cannot tell where the wire on the micro switch (on the wiper board) opposite the solenoid is supposed to go. I assume it is a ground to let the solenoid come on only when the pedal is pressed but I don't know what sort of ground it is. From the diagram it looks like it runs to one of the other micro switches on the FNR control but my wire has a 5/16 ring terminal on the end like it has at one time been connected to a large wire lug.. Any thoughts?

The backup buzzer has not worked since new and I found the red wire cut as well.. The black wire which should go to the positive terminal of the first battery has not been connected as well.. I am unsure how this could work.. I wish I could find a clearer diagram on this thing.. Or someone who has one in correct form!

Thanks for the quick help, I will be working on it and looking back often!

Jason
Old 08-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
jtb51b
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I checked and checked and think I have this right.. Only problem is that I have continuity from a1 to s1 and from a2 to s2.. I would think I should never have 0 ohms from the a to the s.. But from the s to the s and from the a to the a I should? Whats correct?!??

JAson
Old 08-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
jtb51b
Not Yet Wild

Ok, best I can figure it that some how the motor shop swapped the one of the a's for one of the s's when re assembling the case. Is this possible? I had some issues on getting this thing fixed, the guy was not very dependable.. How can I establish which is a1 and which is s1 and so on? or would it matter?

Jason
Old 08-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
jtb51b
Not Yet Wild

Got it straight.. I pulled the motor and checked it out.. The motor shop had indeed swapped s1 and a2 as I suspected.. I'm just glad this thing didn't catch fire in my basement. This would have had a whole different ending to it.. Thanks for all the help. Might replace the resistors just for the heck of it but other than a little aesthetics work I think we are good! Ran it about 4 or 5 miles tonight and brought it home to give it a good long charge, it was still pulling good too...

Jason
Old 08-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
roady89
nimda
Club Car

If those terminals were inline perpendicular to the case then yes, its entirely possible to swap them.....takes a moron to do it but possible...or intentional.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
jtb51b
Not Yet Wild

Here is what it looks like, not my axle just a pic. The two on the right hand side were swapped. I dont know how that mistake could be made from a tech with 20 years of experience but it was! Either way the cart runs great now, used set of batts are holding up great.. I have to replace the timer in the charger as it does not progress through the hours to 0 but other than that it works.

Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor.jpg (45.6 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO