lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #11
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48 volt pds

I'm not sure what you mean by standard type.It is a model i4818 performance series,it just has 2wires coming out of it to the plug.What is the ezgo interlock?
stellix is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Let's get everybody on the same page.

I'm under the impression you are planning to add two more 6V batteries to your existing 36V battery pack consisting of six, six month old, 6V batteries to get a 48V battery pack consisting of eight 6V batteries.

Others appear to be thinking you are replacing all your existing 6V batteries with six 8V batteries for a 48V battery pack.

Please post specifically which type battery pack you are going to be using.

----------------
I believe the term used was "Standalone" rather than "Standard".
Some chargers would require more than simply changing the output plug in order for them to work.
Fortunately the Eagle i4818 appears to be a standalone charger.

The term used was "Ezgo ignition interlock safety device", which is also referred to as the Reed switch.
The Reed switch prevents the cart from being driven away while the charger is plugged into the cart's charge receptacle.
A magnet in the charger output plug opens the Reed switch, so if the plug you install has the magnet, the safety device will work.

The Reed switch was a high failure item, so EZGO eliminated it in later years and many cart owners have bypassed it so it won't fail at a most inopportune time.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm adding two 6 volt batteries to my existing pack of six 6volt batteries. I just looked at my 48 volt charger and it is an Eagle Prformance Series model 4818 18 amp charger. I hope it will work ok with my setup.I dont have my cart in front of me right now , but i think my batteries are US Battery XC Diamond Plate Series but i dont remember if they are 1800 or 2200 seires
Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have everything ready to convert over to 48 volts,do I need to change any settings on my Alltrax 400 before I connect the 48 volt pack or will it run on the same settings as it did on 36 volts?
Old 09-27-2012, 04:23 AM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Before we leave the charger question - and this is a question for the experts and the OP - is your charger specifically made for golf cart batteries? If not, is it for something similar, such as a forklift, or for engine cranking batteries, suck as a diesel engine?

If not, is this a problem for the OP?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #16
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It's a golf cart charger,it was an extra one my brother used to charge his bad boy buggy.i think it will work fine.the only thing I'm worried about is I think there is a ignition interlock feature to keep someone from driving off while the charger is plugged in,but I think in must be a switch or something in the charger receptacle on the cart .i'm going to give it a closer look when I get time and figure out how it works
Old 09-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellix View Post
1. It's a golf cart charger,it was an extra one my brother used to charge his bad boy buggy.i think it will work fine.
2. the only thing I'm worried about is I think there is a ignition interlock feature to keep someone from driving off while the charger is plugged in,but I think in must be a switch or something in the charger receptacle on the cart .i'm going to give it a closer look when I get time and figure out how it works
1. If it is the Eagle i4818 you mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, and it is working properly, it should take good care of your batteries.
Since the regular charge cycle progresses into a float charge mode, it is functionally similar to the DPI.

2. The "Ignition Interlock" is the infamous Reed switch that is no longer installed in later model EZGO carts and often bypassed by owners of older ones that had it.
(Reed switches have a nasty habit of failing at the most inopportune times and stranding cart and driver out in the middle of nowhere.)

The Reed switch is physically located in the Cart's charger receptacle and opens (disabling the cart) when a magnet is brought into close proximity.
There is a magnet in the charger's plug that opens the Reed switch when it is plugged into the cart receptacle.

Here is a picture of charge receptacle with cover off, showing Reed switch, the black object with the small wires attached.
Here is a drawing of the charger plug disassembled. The magnet is item #39.

If you are concerned about someone driving cart away while charger is attached, loop the charger cable through the steering wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charger receptacle with top off.jpg (71.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Charger Plug - opened.JPG (40.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #18
stellix
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Mine may not have that switch ,I also think my charger is just the 4818 and not the i4818 .it is what my brother used to charge his bad boy buggy
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO