lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
HammyAbeer
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 TXT Series to Hunting Cart Conversion

Just picked up a 2003 TXT Series for a $1000 for my first project. It has a 6" Jakes Lift Kit with 22" All Terrians. Also has a 12V auxiliary outlet and a stereo, but all batteries are dead. Brakes seem to be shot too..

My main goal is a hunting buggy with adequate torque for 2 people with decent flat land speed ~15mph.

From researching here and since my batteries are shot and since I dont have a 36V charger, it seems my best bang for the buck is to go ahead with a 36V to 48V conversion.

With this conversion, I want to make sure I dont limit any future upgrades like a better motor, etc.

Here is my paper napkin plan at the moment.

6-8V Batteries.
4 Ga Wires
48 V Controller (programmable I presume)
400 amp h/d solenoid (do I need 500?)
HD F/R Switch
Upgraded Brakes
New battery support tray as it is rusted out and barely hanging on..

Any suggestions what else i may need.

Thanks for your help
HammyAbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2003 TXT Series to Hunting Cart Conversion

Your list looks pretty good, if you go above 400 amp controller I would suggest going with a 2 gauge cables,, and don't forget you will need a charger.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
jaslar12002
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

If you do all on the list you will exceed your required speed and torque. Def consinder disc brake upgrade you can get most from Scotty B built two carts from his kits. Also Consider sending motor off to plum quick inexpensive for the great quality plus will handle the added apperage. Also Agree with the 2Gauge comment def want all that power moving efficiently. As far as battery rack several companys out there make a aluminum replacment for a little less weight and better corrosion protection.
jaslar12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Robbs
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

You might also think about a voltage converter or a 12v battery to run any 12v lights or accessories. I just completed the same conversion on a “98” TXT series hunting cart, but went with the 500amp controller and it is awesome. The stock 36v motor works fine with 48 volts and I have plenty of torque and speed. Top speed on my cart on flat ground is 22mph which if border line dangerous for a cart with 6” lift and 23” tires. I shouldn’t ever need that kind of speed creeping around the woods but it’s nice to know it’s available. Scotty B @ Carts Unlimited was a great help with my build along with all of the other knowledgeable enthusiast and site sponsors here. Good luck with you project and I hope you have a great hunting season!

Be Safe.
Robbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
HammyAbeer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbs View Post
You might also think about a voltage converter or a 12v battery to run any 12v lights or accessories. I just completed the same conversion on a “98” TXT series hunting cart, but went with the 500amp controller and it is awesome. The stock 36v motor works fine with 48 volts and I have plenty of torque and speed. Top speed on my cart on flat ground is 22mph which if border line dangerous for a cart with 6” lift and 23” tires. I shouldn’t ever need that kind of speed creeping around the woods but it’s nice to know it’s available. Scotty B @ Carts Unlimited was a great help with my build along with all of the other knowledgeable enthusiast and site sponsors here. Good luck with you project and I hope you have a great hunting season!

Be Safe.
The previous owner installed a 12 v battery and lights. Not sure if I will have enough room after the conversion. I'll look into the converter.

22 mph sounds great. I'm excited.

I was thinking of taking the motor to my local motor shop for an overhaul. I would think he could handle it.

Thanks for all the help.

Sounds like I need to get ahold of Scottie.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
smsbearshockey
Not Yet Wild

I also bought a TXT Series (2001). I've upgraded to the Alltrax 500a controller, 2ga cables, HD solenoid, HD F/R, etc... IF I wanted to go to 48V, do I only need to replace the 6V batteries with 8V? I'm currently struggling with my power in the woods for climbing, especically with full gear and two buddies. I also seem to only be good for a trip in and out (3 miles round trip). So...I'm figuring the batteries are about ready to be replaced.
smsbearshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbs View Post
Top speed on my cart on flat ground is 22mph which if border line dangerous for a cart with 6” lift and 23” tires.
Wow, I wonder how many of us are at or way above that border.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
PBB
Getting Wild

I just converted a 36V PDS to 48V with a 500 Amp Alltrax programmable controller, HD 400 amp solenoid, 12HP motor and 2 gauge welding lead for cables. The cart has a 6" lift and 23" tires and it is a beast! It has massive torque and PLENTY of speed. Make sure you dont forget to add the diode and resistor for the solenoid. I opted to install the Delta Q 48V on-board charger to refresh the batteries. I installed the Trojan black box T-875 8 volt batteries from Worldwide Battery. For my winch and accessories I chose to go with a 48V voltage reducer to run everything. Make sure to choose one with a high enough amperage to run multiple accessories at the same time. I chose to go with a 30 amp VR. They arent cheap, but id didint like the extra battery idea as I wanted to keep the cart as light as possible.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions once you get started.

PBB
PBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
HammyAbeer
Not Yet Wild

I went with the following:

2 Ga Wire Kit for E-Z-Go TXT Series Cart
48 V Controller AXE4855 (Used) with Fuse
400 amp h/d solenoid, MZJ-400 with Diode & Resistor
HD F/R Switch
Admiral MOT-B3 Motor

My question is now, I would like to sell my motor, solenoid and controller..

What is a normal price for those..

Also want to sell the body if I could and put the money towards a dipped camo body from Beast48.

Thanks for your help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO