lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2015, 07:11 AM   #11
tony in oz
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 91 club cart kf 82 motor problem

hi guys this kf82 is giving me the shits I have re built it and it runs except for a loud tappet like noise,which gets worse at higher revs so I dropped it off at a cart repairers who assured me it needed the tappet shim clearances doing well guess what just got it back and it still sounds the same to me.
work done by me was new standard piston & rings, new con rod, new cam gear ,bore looked ok to me also crank had no nasty marks or scouring on it.
have any of you guys had this problem? would piston rings make the same kind of noise ? thinking that I might have to re bore the barrel, any suggestions would be appreciated
thanks
tony in oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #12
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

It doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the pistons or the cylinder.

It sounds like you're having the same problem I had when I rebuilt my '87 KF82. My guess is that your crank journal (where the rod bolts on) is egged out. It may have looked nice and smooth (mine did too) but I didn't mic it out before re-assembly and when I tore it back down the rod was loose on the crank. But I found another running motor before I had to deal with it.

I believe you can take a new rod and your old crank to a machine shop and they should be able to machine them together. Tear it back down and let us know.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:39 AM   #13
tony in oz
Not Yet Wild

springbok
I understand what you are saying but the motor never made this tappet like noise before I rebuilt it so why would fitting a new rod cause this ? is it made of different softer material and how do a machine shop fix it assume that they grind the crank and fit new bearings to the rod is it possible that the new cam might be faulty
Old 06-15-2015, 10:12 AM   #14
Chuckie
Getting Wild

I too have a kf82 that is lacking power thou. What is the quickest and most pratical budget engine swap?
Chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #15
Chuckie
Getting Wild

What is the engine swap options for a carryall with the kf82 engine.
Chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #16
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony in oz View Post
springbok
I understand what you are saying but the motor never made this tappet like noise before I rebuilt it so why would fitting a new rod cause this ? is it made of different softer material and how do a machine shop fix it assume that they grind the crank and fit new bearings to the rod is it possible that the new cam might be faulty
Did you line up the timing marks when you installed the cam?
Old 06-16-2015, 07:21 AM   #17
tony in oz
Not Yet Wild

well pulled the motor apart again, springbok you were spot on the rod is loose on the crank and by rocking it about I can simulate the noise its been making guess a rebuild kit is required now
Old 06-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #18
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Glad to see I called it right, but yeah that's a rotten problem to be dealing with.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:39 AM   #19
tony in oz
Not Yet Wild

at last kf82 fixed and purring like a kitten gave her a complete overhaul even managed to find a supplier for the exciting coil behind the flywheel, lets hope she stays this way
Old 07-25-2015, 09:53 AM   #20
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have a kf82 cart that running, I'm gona swap out that engine.
Not that this engine is junk, it just doesn't have low end grunt compared to my 99.
How much money do you think you put back into your engine after its all said and done with the rebuild?
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car