lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
JY07
Not Yet Wild

Default G2E Lithium Battery Replacement

I thought I'd share my experience getting new batteries for my 1985 G2E, since it was a bigger PITA than I had expected: how hard can it be to find some lithium batteries for a golf cart, right?

The existing Trojan T-105's in the cart were starting to die out this year, so I figured I'd be able to hop online and get some form of lithium ion batteries, since it looked like replacement Trojan's would be $900+, and surely by now there was a better option than batteries you need to constantly have plugged in and topped off with distilled water.

Total PITA: after researching the best drop-in option I could find were the Dakota Lithium 54AH batteries w/ chargers for about $1200 (we only use the cart for driving around the area so it didn't need to be a high capacity), so I went ahead and ordered. After waiting about a month for something that was supposed to ship out immediately, I ended up cancelling the order. I figured if it was taking that long, they're just the middleman for a factory in China, so why not just go straight to the source, right?

I contacted a few companies on alibaba and settled on one that agreed to just make a single 36v 100AH lifepo4 battery (opposed to three 12v) for a little under $700: with the charger, shipped, it came out to be a hair under $1000.

The battery came in this week; I wasn't super confident everything was actually going to work (especially on a 30+ year old golf cart), but I plugged it in and off we went:

image.png

The only issues so far is I'm not 100% sure how to read the battery meter: it always says its fully charged, but to be fair we really haven't used it much yet.

The other thing is if you're just trying to move the cart a few feet forward, barely touching the pedal results in the motor clicking on and off more than it used to; not sure if there's a good way to adjust that.

If anyone has any questions, let me know; hopefully this will help someone else in the same boat take the leap on non-lead batteries with a little bit more confidence
JY07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #2
Hooptmac
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G2E Lithium Battery Replacement

When ordering the battery direct, did you specify battery dimensions? It looks like you used the same battery trays.

Thanks.
Hooptmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
JY07
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G2E Lithium Battery Replacement

The company had fixed dimensions for the various voltages, although the 36v version did have two options (a square-ish version that I went with vs. a more rectangular one)

On the side the battery sits, I took out the trays and cut down some treated plywood to fill the space. I just put a bunch of rubber grippy pads on it to hold it into place; hasn't moved at all yet
JY07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha