lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
BigRed77
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default My new cart

got my first cart yesturday, an 03 EzGo gas

couple of questions,
the guy I got it from, picked it up from a dealer on thursday, who said when they got the cart it had a slight miss in the engine. So they put in a new fuel filter, still missed. New fuel pump, still missed. then they did a "valve job", fixed the miss.
They told him to not do any tweaking, governor adjustments, until the cart had some more miles on it, since they just did a valve job. Does that sound right to you guys?
I have an itch to go ahead and adjust it. how long should I wait?

also, running around, it sure seems to get hot up under my legs after a good bit of running.
is feeling the engine heat normal?
Is there any tips or tricks to helping the little engine keep cooler?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4234.jpg (119.8 KB, 15 views)
BigRed77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: My new cart

Install a small 12v fan in the engine compartment.
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
BigRed77
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

that sounds like a really good idea.

any suggestions for where/what to mount it to? (pics maybe)
I am guessing it would be just wired direct with a toggle switch.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
rankel
Not Yet Wild

A switch would work. You can also get a thermostat so it will turn itself on once the motor compartment gets hot.
rankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

So let's look at the facts. Before you got it it had a "slight miss" The dealer dicked around with it and eventually adjusted the valves. Well misadjusted valves will not cause a slight miss. If they are too gapped then the the valves will not open fully and the tappets will clatter. To tight and the valves will not fully close and will quickly burn out. Now for some bizarre reason they do not want you to mess with it (although why you would want to fiddle with the governor is a mystery). No it all sounds very suspicious to me.
Now you think that it is running hot but this is your first cart so how would you know? You really need to find another owner of a similar cart and make a subjective assessment. If it is indeed running hot then you need to find out why. Perhaps the "dealer" simply dicked around with the carb until things seemed right and now it is running lean. The idea of masking the sypmtoms with another cooling fan is, to be brutally frank, douchbaggery beyond belief. If it needed another cooling fan you can bet all manufacturers would have one as standard.
Here is what I suggest. 1) Remove that spark plugs and see if they look white or burnt. This would be an indication that it is running lean. 2) Check that the fan is not choked with grass or leaves etc. 3) Check that no one has removed the air deflector. 4) Check your oil level.
Adding another fan is like treating the symptoms not the disease.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
BigRed77
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Dave, that is kinda the response I was expecting at some point.

I agree that doing a valve job didnt sound like a normal way to diagnose what I think of when I think an engine has a miss. Not having heard the "miss" myself, my thought was that it probably was the wrong term.

I am definitely gunna check those spark plugs this afternoon when I get home.

and check the fan.
where is the fan? I looked up under there when I checked the oil (both when it rolled off the trailer and again yesterday after some use, oil level was good), but I didnt notice the fan.
I agree, adding a second fan sounds silly if there is a fan there to begin with. I didnt realize there was one.

where is the air deflector and what does it look like?

dunno much about these carts yet, but I am already spending too many working hours on here reading and learning. :)
Old 07-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

The fan is attached to the flywheel under the black cover on the pass. side of the engine. Don't know about an air deflector??
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
BigRed77
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

all, the fan we are talking about is the fins on the back side of the engine. I am guessing the air deflector he is referring to is the black plastic piece that covers the fins.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:22 AM   #9
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Yes indeed it is there to make sure the air is forced across the fins. If somone had removed it the air from the fan would float upwards. I guess that you have now looked to ensure that the fan cover is not clogged with leaves / grass / debris.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
BigRed77
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

yes, I checked the fan cover, it was clear of leaves and such.

didnt get a chance to check the spark plugs yet (too many honey doo's after a long weekend of company)
But I did note a sticker on the engine that said the engine had high altitude jets installed. I live at less than 900 ft above sea level, so I am guessing I am below "high altitude".
I wonder if the jetting is what caused the "miss" this place was trying to fix. Could that make any sense?

any idea what size jets would be proper for me? and/or where to get them?
or maybe how to check the jets to see what size is in there? do the jets have numbers on them?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO