lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Scruff
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Starter Question

I have a small problem that I am trying to resolve. Is it possible for a starter to gradually die or do they just quit all at once?

When I depress the gas pedal, sometimes it turns over and other times it just gives off a fuel pump sound. If you hold the pedal down, none of the belts turn. Pump it two or three times and it finally kicks off. Once the belts turn it has no trouble running.

I think its either the battery or starter but I cant put my finger on which one... I dont want to replace both if I dont need to. I did try to hook a battery charger to it and got it to do the same thing but I didnt leave it hooked up to recharge.

I would think that after driving it around it would stop if it was the battery but I dont know...
Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Starter Question

Is the starter turning and slipping so the
belt doesn't move.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Scruff
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

no - nothing turns. No belts, no starter... nothing.

just makes a buzzing fuel pump sound - kinda like it wants to turn over but doesnt.

Maybe it is the battery going bad and it doesnt have enough juice to get it all turning...
Old 07-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
ace_ripper
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff View Post
no - nothing turns. No belts, no starter... nothing.

just makes a buzzing fuel pump sound - kinda like it wants to turn over but doesnt.

Maybe it is the battery going bad and it doesnt have enough juice to get it all turning...
A low battery could cause your symptoms. It could also be old worn out brushes in the starter. Check your battery charge and connections first. If the battery is good and it still does it check the brushes. There should be rubber inspection panels on the starter. Remove them and check to see how much brush you have left in there. If you can reach the brush check to see that they move freely. I've seen enough brush dust build up to prevent them from sliding freely causing arky sparky and fry the commutator.
ace_ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Scruff
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok - I will check the battery first. The hours on the cart is only 235 but it is an 05 so the battery could be shot.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Connect a voltmeter between A1 on the starter and the battery negative. When you try to start you should see ~12 volts. If you do and the starter does not turn you probably need to replace the brushes. If you don't you might have a solenoid problem. (This assumes that the battery is charged, if it isn't you need to slap yourself and then charge it).
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
Scruff
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok - i am getting old and my dang eyes aren't working. The starter is spinning the belt is not. It need to be replaced or tightened. I guess replaced since I just found three good sized slices in it. The bolts dont look like they have slides so is there a quick way to do this?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
Scruff
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I found the two bolts to tighten the belt - thanks for the help everyone. Problem is fixed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO