lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
cewood
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default New Guy - G1 Issues

Hey everyone, great forum and lots of good information. Brand new to all this but I am jumping in with both feet.

Here's the issue. Bought a used '85 G1-AM5. Was running For & Rev. with a new ignition, new fuel pump. First day got it home and I cleaned up some of the dirt, saw how old the air cleaner was and generally inspected everything. After that I can't get it to kick into gear. It will start, but will not move. Figured I would work on it more this weekend. Purchased a "tune up kit" online and got that today. Gap'ed the new spark plug and put in new air cleaner. Checked and rechecked the basic wiring. Tested battery. New fuel, checked fuel tank breather, oil looks fine.

So here is where I am at today. She will start in forward, but will not start in Rev. Will still not engage the clutch to move at all. Sounds fine when first running, but stepping on gas full doesn't seem to rev the engine that much. After about 30 minutes of trying things, she won't turn over. Starter jerks a little but won't turnover. Wait 15 minute and she will start, but then kind of runs out of power and quits. Bought the service manual but that is not much help try to troubleshoot. Carb issue?? Electrical issue??

Appreciate any ideas you guys have for me. I continue to search and read for more information.

Thanks...
cewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
daveswaves
Getting Wild

Default Re: New Guy - G1 Issues

If your crankcase seals were not changed then that is likely your problem. It will be running too lean with bad seals. The dirty air filter might have masked that problem. The new air filter will exaggerate it. Check the throttle cable linkage and make sure that the butterfly in the carb actually opens when you push the foot throttle. Double check the ground wires, especially the one near the battery, corrosion can create a poor ground. After you have cranked it for a while feel the battery cable connections and the generator connections, if they are hot you likely have poor connection there as well.
daveswaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
cewood
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: New Guy - G1 Issues

Great input, thanks. I will get the gaskets ordered.

I will have to got through the wiring with a fine tooth comb. It not in the best of shape and could easily be a bad ground or connection. Since it was running fairly good when I bought it, I had a feeling my cleaning the dirt off did something to the electrical, but wasn't sure how that would be related to what I was experiencing. The gaskets make since and is a must do anyway.

Thanks again.
cewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha