lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
jnoble2469
Not Yet Wild

Default G14 lack of top speed

Ok I'm a newbie so please bare with me. Here is what I have done so far. I have put the speed spring on and turn the nut all the way in on the adjustment. I have a plowmans clutch kit and jets in it. I have a jakes 7" double a-arm lift kit and 23-10.50-12 wheels and tires. Plowmans muffler and new air filter in stock housing. Top speed was about 19-20 mph before lift and then with lift/tires went to 22 but with cluth dropped back down. Seems like should have more top speed any suggestions on what to do to gain or is this it without by-passing govern system? Thanks sorry such a long post.
jnoble2469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G14 lack of top speed

Actually if you still have the govenor or rev limiter intact that seems on par for top speed. The clutch, jets, air filter and exhaust just help you get to 22mph quicker. If you want more speed you need more RPMS. I'm betting it's the govenor.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:44 AM   #3
Bogatzi
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I agree with Jc. I also have the speed spring, jets & clutch kit, and 20" tires. The best top speed I get is 21. Now that my son is older, I will bypass the governor.
Bogatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
97blueg16
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

is the pedal suppose to be stiff after you install the spring?
97blueg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You guys sure you are getting full shift with your clutch kit? (the belt is at top of primary at top speed). I've done a few G9 and with 22s they are right at about 27gps with the governor all the way in but still working. Some of the clutch springs you get will not shift all the way unless rpm is rather high. Usually plowmans is very good stuff, but you should check it. You can take the body off and see it or use marker inside the clutch and see what the belt wears off. Otherwise I would say your primary is screwed up and not shifting like it should.

Yes the governor might be different but ones I turned up I don't recall going that slow. I know they will run over 30gps with no governor my tired G9 right at 30gps on pavement.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I had a g-14 last week with the muffler stopped up. It ran nice and smooth just no power and slow. Tried to speed up a few years ago with no success. Sent muffler to radiator shop to have boiled out and it runs and pulls great now. Take muffler off and see how it runs.

Also Plowmans clutches have to get a few miles on them to get the speed back.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
jnoble2469
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the feed back I appreciate it. I think i found one of the problems. The front engine mount and cable was broke so it allowed the engine to move backwards. It was not letting it get the secondary clutch into the bottom of the grove. ordered mount will see if that fixes it all.
jnoble2469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha