lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
jrichv
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Unhappy Re: power drive 2 charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichv View Post
After scouring the threads, it appears my first order of business is to determine whether the problem is my OBC or the charger - correct? I will try the OBC reset instructions, and see if that changes the results. (I know you all are sitting on the edge of your seats, waiting for that outcome...)

Update and a renewed request for help/suggestions?

I meticulously followed the procedures for the OBC reset, but nothing happened at all. There was no Reverse buzzer after 30 seconds - nor anything at all during the five minute accelerator pedal hold-down.

I'm beginning to think the OBC is toasted?

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.
jrichv is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: power drive 2 charger

Does the cart run?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
jrichv
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Does the cart run?
Yes, the cart runs just fine. Checking the voltage across all four batteries shows about 49+ volts right now.

On the charger itself, I have replaced the circuit breaker, relay, rectifier and voltage suppressor bundle. But still the charger never hums, the needle never moves, etc.

I have seen two slightly different methods of resetting the OBC, and have tried both - but have never heard an audible click sound after 30-45sec of holding down the accelerator pedal.

Am I any closer to determining whether the problem is in the cart (OBC) or the charger?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #14
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Have you jumpered out inside the charger, bypassing the OBC, to see if charger turns on and charges?
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #15
jrichv
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
Have you jumpered out inside the charger, bypassing the OBC, to see if charger turns on and charges?
No, I have not. I have seen references in other threads alluding to that, but nothing I came across gave me clear enough instructions on how to do that? I'm willing to try, if I knew what to jumper in the charger in order to bypass the OBC?

In my mind, that step right there should tell me whether or not there is a problem with the charger, correct?

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #16
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
No, I have not. I have seen references in other threads alluding to that, but nothing I came across gave me clear enough instructions on how to do that? I'm willing to try, if I knew what to jumper in the charger in order to bypass the OBC?

In my mind, that step right there should tell me whether or not there is a problem with the charger, correct?

Thanks!
See my post #2 in this thread to see if it makes sense:

Bypass OBC in Charger - testing purposes ONLY!
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
jrichv
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
See my post #2 in this thread to see if it makes sense:

Bypass OBC in Charger - testing purposes ONLY!
Looks pretty straightforward, but let me make sure I understand it completely?

I remove those two wires, and use another wire to jumper them together and complete the circuit. Then, plug charger into AC outlet (wall) and then into the cart to see if begins charging - correct?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #18
jrichv
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Looks pretty straightforward, but let me make sure I understand it completely?

I remove those two wires, and use another wire to jumper them together and complete the circuit. Then, plug charger into AC outlet (wall) and then into the cart to see if begins charging - correct?
I forged ahead and jumpered those two wires, plugged in the charger and then plugged the charger into the cart. I'm still here, so I didn't mess it up too bad...

Voltage check across all batteries prior to starting anything = 48+volts.

As soon as I plugged the charger into the cart, I heard an audible click on the charger, and the low battery light on the cart came on for about five seconds, then went off. I'm guessing that was due to the 48+volts already in the batteries?

I felt the charger, and could feel a low vibration, as if voltage was indeed passing through it. I only left it on the cart for about 10 minutes.

In my mind, this proves that I have a bad OBC. Correct me if my deduction is wrong?

I guess I'm off to search the threads for OBC diagnostics? Or, should I just cut my losses and go about getting a new OBC and swapping it out?

Thanks to all who have contributed, and those who continue to help a rookie out!

Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #19
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

You need a new OBC. You've got enough voltage to make it work, you've got a new relay in your charger. There's no fuses on a Precedent to check so you can rule that out. Put a new OBC in it and you'll be good to go.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #20
jrichv
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
You need a new OBC. You've got enough voltage to make it work, you've got a new relay in your charger. There's no fuses on a Precedent to check so you can rule that out. Put a new OBC in it and you'll be good to go.
Thanks! Now the search for a replacement OBC begins...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car