lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #21
pais54
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1996 48v Regen Module Issue

Hello All.. I'm pretty sure mine is silver. I will not know until I get back home on Friday. I'll repost with my findings. Thanks All for the help!!
pais54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #22
trigger1937
Gone Wild

Shadowman,...I apologize,.. no harm intended. It would be great if we could document a couple of steps that anyone could take to test key parts, like the solenoid, and measurement that could be made on the motor. Pais54 originally posted that he had a dealer test his cart and said the controller was bad. So is there some simple VOM measurements that could confirm that his motor does not have an open winding.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #23
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

has nothing to do with testing its just that there atre 2 different controllers that are used in the cart and if you have a silver controller in the cart the black one won,t work and if you have the black one in the cart like mine does the silver one won,t work......thats all...............i suggested that he make sure he had the silver controller like yours.....he does so it will work so he should grab the one you have for sale cause its a good price for a working controller...........simple as that, so many people here buy stuff that with just a little more help it might save them some cash and thats why we come here to help each other.....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #24
pais54
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hello All,
I checked my cart. It does have a SILVER controller. Here is a picture.

I'm also showing the solenoid in another picture. There is a black spade connector that is not connected. Not sure if this was left off from the cart being serviced or not. Any idea what this is for?
Is there a way I can test the solenoid by itself? can I jumper 48 vdc into the small terminal to see it pull in?
Since this cart has been sitting for a couple years, I decided to jump 48 volts from my other cart to see if anything would 'Click'. I got nothing other than the backup alarm to come ON when flipping the Rocker switch in front.
I'm just looking for some opinions before I exchange the SILVER Controller.
You guys also have me wondering about the electric motor. Could I really have a bad winding? Am I able to jump 48 volts across the motor direct to see if it works? Please provide some input please.... Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Controller.jpg (105.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg solenoid.JPG (145.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #25
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if i,m seeing that right it looks like a brown wire look on the controller B- spade for the other end or does that wire come out of the harness that comes from the OBC? i think so i just can,t remember exactly where but look around back there you should be able to find the other part of it.........as for the solenoid you can jack the rear up and jump the 2 large post and see if cart will run............
Old 10-08-2011, 12:19 AM   #26
trigger1937
Gone Wild

Shadowman,..

Quote:
if i,m seeing that right it looks like a brown wire look on the controller B- spade for the other end or does that wire come out of the harness that comes from the OBC? i think so i just can,t remember exactly where but look around back there you should be able to find the other part of it.........as for the solenoid you can jack the rear up and jump the 2 large post and see if cart will run............
If his controller is bad, as the dealer told him,...your suggestion won't work,...but if the dealer was wrong and the tires roll,...that will be a break through.

Another way to just test the solenoid would be to remove ONLY the Large yellow from the 2nd post. Now use a set of battery jumpers from 48 volts and touch them to the + and - of the Solenoid and see if you hear it energise. At least this is a part-1 test. The full test will be when you get all 6 batteries hooked up and a good controller installed.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #27
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i,m not sure what hes trying to do at this point to be honest i just answered his question......i already suggested that if he needed your controller the price was right for it but what he asked this time was about a hanging wire and his solenoid......i gave him a simple way to test his solenoid and where to look for the wire......simple as that......and this is for anyone who reads this, if you take your time and read thur threads here you,ll find that you can,t trust a lot of what some dealers tell you, i can,t tell you how many members we have here that a dealer told them this is whats wrong than charged them out the wazoo and ended up being completely wrong....it happens a lot, just something to keep in mind there isn,t one of us who knows everything including some dealers.................................
Old 10-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #28
pais54
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hello All - I tried testing the solenoid this morning and was not able to energize it. I then proceeded to take it apart. Did not realize I needed to pull the 2 short screws from one end which would allow the whole coil to slide out of the plastic housing. This resulted in pulling the leads off the windings. This is NOW JUNK! based on what I seen inside, I believe the coil was good. Hard to say if something was shorted. The contacts looked BRAND NEW!! Absolute no corrosion.
I then jumped my 48 volts direct to the motor. It does turn over. Not real fast, but most likley limited on the length of my cables.
So where do I go from here??? Replace solenoid and controller and see what happens? Also need a new set of batteries if I don't steal them from my '99.
My next option is to scrap this project. Does anyone have interest in buying this fine cart?? Please let me know.
BTW, the brown wire that was loose does go into the harness. The spade connector does fit the male spade on the solenoid. Maybe some accessory was unplugged at one time.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #29
trigger1937
Gone Wild

pais54,..are you sure you put the 48 volts on the + and - pins and not the large pass through pins. Even if you solenoid is broken you can get a replacement from many places. They don't cost that much. I have no experience on motors so maybe other can tell you more about that but I would be very careful about applying 48 volts to any lead on the motor.

You never added a picture of your basic cart so we can't tell the condition. Given the current condition you don't have much to sell, without batteries, controller, solenoid. Since you have plenty of time I would first try and get some help from someone on this web site to test your motor and make sure none of the winding are open. If that is good then I would try and find a low cost solenoid that works. The last step is the controller. If you know the other parts are OK, the only other possible problem is the controller. If you don't trust that one dealer, then take out your old controller and find another Club Car dealer to test your controller. As far as batteries,.. check a couple of local dealers and see what the cost of a set of used batteries would cost. Go to a golf course maintenance section and see if they have any they have pulled out.

My last experience in selling carts is that if the body and extras on your cart are in good condition, even if you have a set of weak batteries, you should be able to sell the cart for $500 or more depending on condition, tires, headlights, windshield, etc.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #30
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if you can find the service manual for that cart it would be a great help to you........you can run thur tests and procedures in order to get to the bottom of whats going on.....problem is that one of those carts i know for sure that the one i have was only made for 2 years it was some sort of experimental thing they were doing, everything about them is just a little different than the other carts of those 2 years .....1996 and 1997 and they can be a nightmare......................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car