lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
trigger1937
Gone Wild

Default Herky Jerky 2008 Precedent

I've had my 2008.5 for about 2 months and have worked on many things successfully. Now I am noticing that at low speeds and starting up the cart jerks or hisitates as it gets up to speed. If I stay full pedal then it gets to top speed, which by the way still has not been corrected, and holds that speed OK. If I try to run the cart at slow speed,...such as when I'm helping someone else search for a lost golf ball, it will not roll at a smooth slow speed. It is almost as if the motor is missing one winding and stalls until the field hit the next pole. This may be the wrong terminaligy but hopefully you can understand what I'm try to express. I believe this cart has the "MCOR" pedal control and my thought is that since this cart was in the desert there may be some debrie in the MCOR. I know they should be sealed,... but there is the possibility this cart bottom was in some very deep water.

Also,... Compared to the three other golf carts I have owned over the last 14 years this one seems to make a lot of axle noise or rear end noise. Is there something in the gear box or transaxle I can check. Hope someone has a suggestion.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Herky Jerky 2008 Precedent

Trigger, it does sound like an MCOR issue. Remember, sand can get anywhere! I would run your cart for a bit tomorrow to warm up the oil in your rearend and drain it and refill it with streight 30wt oil. If you can find the royal purple 30wt, that would be great. The only place I have ever seen streight 30wt on the shelf is NAPA. It may help with the rearend.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #3
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

What colby said Also pay attention to what comes out and take a close look at the drain plug as it's a magnet. Any metal debris will be stuck to it. A little is normal, but a lot means problems...The manual calls for 30w oil, royal purple is about the best synthetic oil out there and it costs $$$, just something to consider.

I used mobil1 10w30 and it appears to be working great. (all I had laying around)
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

that noise may also be from the motor??? if so they sell a motor centering kit for like 20 bucks to correct it...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
that noise may also be from the motor??? if so they sell a motor centering kit for like 20 bucks to correct it...........................
I didn't know this can be an issue with the Precedents? What does this involve and look like? Also, why do some carts need this and others don't?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Kent22
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I had the same exact problem with mine. The mechanic said that the motor was flexing onto the chassis and shorting the motor just enough to make it do that. We ended up getting a replacemnt for free so just talk to your local cart mechanic and I'm sure you can find a good deal. Or order one off the internet. Good luck!
Kent22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent22 View Post
I had the same exact problem with mine. The mechanic said that the motor was flexing onto the chassis and shorting the motor just enough to make it do that. We ended up getting a replacemnt for free so just talk to your local cart mechanic and I'm sure you can find a good deal. Or order one off the internet. Good luck!
If it was indeed shorting wouldn't this cause other issues?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
trigger1937
Gone Wild

Wow,... Thanks for all the information. I've messed with an MCOR or Petal pot before and they are a &*%$# to get out. How well are they sealed, as I know they are pretty tight and the only input is a Stainless Steel shaft through a tight bushing. This would not be a two hour job.

On the issue of draining out the oil,.. in most rear ends the plug is just a few inches above absolute bottom and it is easy to get the oil out,..but to put it back it usually take a gun under some kind of pressure. You can't just pour the oil ink. what do you recommend.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger1937 View Post
Wow,... Thanks for all the information. I've messed with an MCOR or Petal pot before and they are a &*%$# to get out. How well are they sealed, as I know they are pretty tight and the only input is a Stainless Steel shaft through a tight bushing. This would not be a two hour job.

On the issue of draining out the oil,.. in most rear ends the plug is just a few inches above absolute bottom and it is easy to get the oil out,..but to put it back it usually take a gun under some kind of pressure. You can't just pour the oil ink. what do you recommend.
When changing the oil make sure you FIRST remove the upper drain plug before draining oil. If you drain the oil first and you can not get the upper plug out you are left with a dry axle
Old 10-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
Kent22
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
If it was indeed shorting wouldn't this cause other issues?
It didn't with mine. I did have a battery explode on me, yet that happened before we figured out it was shorting out if I remember correctly.
Kent22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car