lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
aauman
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Different type charger?

OK, this may come from left field but I have a question I'm sure someone on here can answer. I just put a stereo system on a friends pontoon boat and we intergrated an onboard charger for all batteries, 1 for cranking, 2 for stereo wired parralel, and one for acc. we used a 3 bank Promariner charger that charges them seperately and is 3 stage for float. I have a precedent with 4 x 12v batteries. I wante4d to add a onboard charger to my cart anyways and seen that Promariner also has a 4 bank charger and has 3 step charging for each one. It is a marine charger so it ise weatherproof and vibration resistant. Would I be able to install one on my cart and shouldn't it benefit the batteries to be charged and monitored individualy? I also have a meter ordered that srolls through each battery voltages and then shows pack voltage. Please give me yoiur thoughts

aauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Different type charger?

as long as it can charge a series string (ie: isolated outputs), that is the best way to charge.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
aauman
Getting Wild

Club Car

It says connect each one to an individual 12v battery regardless of how wired; series or parallel. It even says if you have one battery that has more draw on it that you should hook it to the output #1. Wouldnt that fix the problem everyone has with the light kit hooking to the #4 battery.

It just seems like that way of charging and monitoring each battery is far superior to putting out a lump voltage across the pack whether each battery needs it or not.

If they had a 5 bank it would be great for me due to my aux battery. The charger even has float for long term charging.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What amperage does the marine charger give to each battery? Cart batteries will take quite a while to charge unless the marine charger is equal in rating to the cart charger.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
What amperage does the marine charger give to each battery? Cart batteries will take quite a while to charge unless the marine charger is equal in rating to the cart charger.

good question.....as for a C.C. charger just putting out a lump charge if its a 48 volt cart with OBC the charger does a little more than that...........well a lot more than a lump charge.....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
aauman
Getting Wild

Club Car

http://www.promariner.com/productFea...oductNum=51034

This is the charger website. It says 10, 15, or 30 amps as needed. Dont know how it would work be wired in series. Seems like having a + and a - to each battery and then a wire from + to - of two batteries would be a direct short?!? Almost like you would need to break all wires between batteries in order to charge them individually. Dont know if thats even possible
Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The model 51034 says 12 - 24 - 36 - 48V at 30amps. Priced at $420, that does not sound like a bad deal at all! I'd like to read some reviews on it before I'd buy one, though.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
aauman
Getting Wild

Club Car

I have used several of these chargers on different boats that I have installed systems on, but we have only used the 2 bank ones for cranking battery and acc battery. We have had excellent reusults with these and haven't found a downside to them. This is first 3 bank I have used due to stereo needing a dedicated battery.

I am going to install an onboard charger and have a retractable cord reel for ease of use. This will also allow me to remove the OBC. My cart sometimes goes a week or two between uses and it charges up fine the first day but by the time I use it it has not held its charge and goes dead quickly. I know this mean my batteries are on the way out but if you charge them better they should last longer.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i have owned and still own a few battery tenders and love them.......and no offense meant here at all but i don,t know that theres anything out there thats gonna charge those batteries the way they are meant to be charged better than the charger that was designed for the cart.......just an opinion..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #10
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauman View Post
I have used several of these chargers on different boats that I have installed systems on, but we have only used the 2 bank ones for cranking battery and acc battery. We have had excellent reusults with these and haven't found a downside to them. This is first 3 bank I have used due to stereo needing a dedicated battery.

I am going to install an onboard charger and have a retractable cord reel for ease of use. This will also allow me to remove the OBC. My cart sometimes goes a week or two between uses and it charges up fine the first day but by the time I use it it has not held its charge and goes dead quickly. I know this mean my batteries are on the way out but if you charge them better they should last longer.
Maybe it's not! I'd do the sp and voltage tests before condemning your batteries. I've seen tons of posts about these OBC's ( which I know nothing about ) that seem to have lots of issues.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car