lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
Brushpup
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default What to do for now? Cleaning Contacts...updates?

I just picked up a new to me 93 CC DS 36v resistor...posted here if you care to see. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...art-kinda.html

I'm planning to clean up all the contacts this weekend and wanted some advice. I did the most of the worst ones but there are still some bad ones on the F&R and Solenoid I want to take care of. Also planning on replacing a couple of cables and wire ends. I assume that the resistor terminations would benefit even though they don't look bad?

How about the terminations on the wiper box? These look fine but I assume the same for them. The F&R switch...I was wondering about taking it apart and cleaning the contact points along with the posts/temination points. If so, what would be preferred? I was thinking light rubbing with high grit emery cloth or fine stainless buffing wheel with a dremel? What I can see here doesn't look too bad but tarnished a little. It may be a moot point as one nut and post (bottom center post) looks really bad. The nut corners gave way when I tried to take it off with a socket. Yes Im certain I had the right size. Unfortunately, it looks like one contact on the solenoid may be in the same shape.

Planning on removing all batts and cleaning the tray too, which does seem in good shape, but I want it to stay that way. I guess they get corrosion products on them from boil-over during charging and not letting this happen will prevent it? In either case, do any of you put some kind of protectant on the tray parts?

Lastly, I have resitor coils and understand that a solid state a controller would make the cart more efficient, but I am seriously considering a 48v conversion down the road. With this in mind what would be prudent to upgrade at this point? Cables, HD F&R switch? I'm obviously ignorant guys, but I'm all ears and eager for any advice you have. Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'd rather ask than have to say oops.... wish I woulda asked!
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Brushpup
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: What to do for now? Cleaning Contacts...updates?

Wow, I just re-read this and see now why no one answered. Way too many dumb questions and wrong terminology, and far too much rambling.

Oh well, I got most of it done. Couldn't get the roll pin in the F&R to budge one bit. Maybe later, that was at the end of the day and I was just too tired to remove the switch and tackle that. Was a helluva chore for a newbie, but everything is nice and clean. Should taken pics of the mess, but oh well...

And there was no center post on the F&R...two lugs on the bottom. Dunno what I was thinking when I wrote that. Have more questions now but it was pretty rewarding getting familiar with how these things work. Maybe in my mind, but respose seems better and maybe a touch faster.

Now I totally understand why Scotty calls em "Toaster Oven Parts".
Old 01-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Getting everything cleaned up is the first step toward making it run right.
Be sure the V-glide wiper is going all the way to the last button (terminal) inside.
That's about all you can do until you decide to upgrade the drive system to solid state speed control.
The center pin is a bit hard to remove and not worth it because there is not much you can do inside to improve it's operation.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Brushpup
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Getting everything cleaned up is the first step toward making it run right.
Be sure the V-glide wiper is going all the way to the last button (terminal) inside.
That's about all you can do until you decide to upgrade the drive system to solid state speed control.
The center pin is a bit hard to remove and not worth it because there is not much you can do inside to improve it's operation.
Thanks Scotty, I did take the Vglide cover off out of pure curiosity and it did. I was wondering if changing the brush would add anything of value. The one in place is pretty worn and the wire is a bit frayed in the middle. The last pad looked bad, so I cleaned it up nice and new.

I just thought cleaning up the terminals on the F&R might help, but that pin will be a PITA as it is rusted in place pretty good. Won't mess with it now though.

Thanks again Sir.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car