lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

Exclamation Suppose I have NO DIODE

I have been reading with some interest the thread from Chipster about his Controller/Diode issue. One reason I was interested is that I did not recall having a diode on my setup and because my setup is pretty much identical to Chipster's (07 Precedent, 500A Alltrax, 400a Sol, Motor Upgrade, 4G Wires).

As I read more postings it seemed that this diode may be pretty important. So I just went outside to inspect my setup and sure enough, NO DIODE!

Just to be sure I include a pic so you can confirm. The cart was built this way for me last June and has ran without any electrical issues that I am aware of through alot of neighborhood and then hunting use. So my questions are:

1. Should I be concerned about this (read 'get a diode installed ASAP!')?
2. What is a diode's practical purpose on a cart?
3. What damage, ill effects can I incur not having a diode in place?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sol1_Full.jpg (108.6 KB, 25 views)
lgbarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Chipster27
Getting Wild

Default Re: Suppose I have NO DIODE

Well at least your Alltrax works

You might also check the size of your resistor. I believe the 400a solenoid requires a larger resistor than the factory solenoid. Someone else might be able to provide the specifics.
Chipster27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Chipster27
Getting Wild

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chipster27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

the only comment i can make is i see a lot of carts running around that have no diode on solenoid.....up to this point i havn,t seen any problems caused to cart by it not having one.......but i suggest getting one for the 3 bucks it cost you can,t go wrong.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is it possible that some of the newer controllers have the diode built in? I would think that would be the way to go!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Jim"Bob" Bebermeyer
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

To answer questions 2 and 3 for you:

A diode is used to eliminate fly-back, or the sudden, large voltage spike seen across an inductive load, such as a solenoid, when its supply voltage is suddenly reduced or removed. This current reversal can damage sensitive electronic component attached to the same circuit.

Hope this helps!
Jim”Bob”
Jim"Bob" Bebermeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks, Everyone. I have gone ahead and ordered one. I noticed in the Alltrax Tech Note it describes an issue where the cart can be jittery without the diode. I do notice this behavior at times, so hopefully I will get some collateral benefit from it as well. It appears I may have been fortunate to not have had any problems from not having the diode.
lgbarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Is it possible that some of the newer controllers have the diode built in? I would think that would be the way to go!
Research shows the new Alltrax SPM has a diode protection built into the controller if you wire it using the two connections that control the solenoid. (optional) If the cart is wired where the foot switch still controls the solenoid then you need to add a protection diode.
Hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Kelly G
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Research shows the new Alltrax SPM has a diode protection built into the controller if you wire it using the two connections that control the solenoid. (optional) If the cart is wired where the foot switch still controls the solenoid then you need to add a protection diode.
Hope this helps.
What is the voltage used to activate the solenoid if you use the connections on the controller?
Kelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipster27 View Post
Well at least your Alltrax works

You might also check the size of your resistor. I believe the 400a solenoid requires a larger resistor than the factory solenoid. Someone else might be able to provide the specifics.
the size of the solenoid has no bearing on the value of the resistor..

The purpose of the resistor is to let some current flow ,when the solenoid is not energized to "PRECHARGE" the controller. (like warming up a cold engine)

Therefore the value of the RESISTOR is dependent on the specs and needs of the controller
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diode
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car