lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
gcs13
Gone Wild

Club Car

I talked to PQ and they pretty much told me that my motor was useless now. I just ordered me a D&D motor, they already had one made up. I ordered a torque motor.
gcs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: High torque motor options

So, PQ wouldn't do anything? Seems odd to burn up a motor just going down a dirt road because that shouldn't be that hard on a motor.
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

Couple of follow-ups:

1. It appears from your earlier post you may be running your batts down more than desired during break-in. From the numerous postings on this (which do not always agree) I surmise you do not want to run down your batts past 75% of full charge for the first 20 or so charging cycles.

2. You should not be able to burn up a motor by running the cart. I recently did something not recommended, in order to get a good picture on how far I could go on a sngle charge. I ran flat out on roadway, only slowing to turn corners or stopping only occasionally. I did this for 18.5 miles before the battery light came on showing I was at 25% of charge. I did not burn up the motor and nothing got too hot to touch. So I would watch your cart carefully after you put in new motor.
lgbarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
gcs13
Gone Wild

Club Car

I was just taking my batteries down to about half charge. I was running flat out on a dirt rd with a few minor hills. I was about 5 mile in the run when I burnt up my motor. Everything was cool as a cucumber when it burnt up except the motor, it was so hot you couldn't lay your hand on it. Idk if having a 500 amp controller at 100% is more than that motor can take.
I have never stalled my cart out on a hill. I normally use it for hunting, so I've not really run it for long at a time. I just know I want more torque for pulling hills than what my motor was able to do.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #15
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcs13 View Post
I was just taking my batteries down to about half charge. I was running flat out on a dirt rd with a few minor hills. I was about 5 mile in the run when I burnt up my motor. Everything was cool as a cucumber when it burnt up except the motor, it was so hot you couldn't lay your hand on it. Idk if having a 500 amp controller at 100% is more than that motor can take.
I have never stalled my cart out on a hill. I normally use it for hunting, so I've not really run it for long at a time. I just know I want more torque for pulling hills than what my motor was able to do.
50% is in line with some of the breakin procedures I have seen and with your other remarks I can see no reason your PQ motor should have burned up. So, I would closely monitor your next motor until you are confident it is not overheating as well. Just to make sure there isn't something else going on.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #16
gcs13
Gone Wild

Club Car

When I talked to PQ today I told them that I had a custom curve installed in my Alltrax controller. They seem to think that steep power curve might have put to many amps to the motor and that might have over heated the motor. But I'm going to keep a closer eye on the next motor for sure.
I ordered me a D&D torque motor today after talking to PQ. D&D had one in stock ready to ship where as PQ would have had to build me one up. The guy at D&D sent me a new down load to put in my controller and it will change the field map and the throttle curve along with a few other changes for the motor he is sending me. Maybe it will all workout.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #17
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcs13 View Post
I talked to PQ and they pretty much told me that my motor was useless now. I just ordered me a D&D motor, they already had one made up. I ordered a torque motor.
don't understand why they said it was useless. A TRUE MOTOR shop could just repair it for you . And depending on how long you had it...you might ask for some accomodating DISCOUNT
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
lgbarne
Gone Wild

Club Car

That custom curve, I suspect, is the one used on Precedents (or maybe all MCOR Club Cars?) to account for the fact that the MCORs typically do not reach 100% throttle. I have the same curve, I believe. In fact, I changed it a while back and that resulted in gettting only 19MPH out of the cart. After much checking I figured this out and installed a fresh version of the custom curve. Back to 22mph! Some of the experts here (where are you TahoeDawg) can chime in on this specific item, but my limited experience on this would say this should not be the source of your cooked motor.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #19
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
don't understand why they said it was useless. A TRUE MOTOR shop could just repair it for you . And depending on how long you had it...you might ask for some accomodating DISCOUNT
Specially since the motor is barley a year old. Not good PR for them.
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #20
gcs13
Gone Wild

Club Car

It was my mcor that was causing me not to get 100% out of my controller. Alltrax sent me a hex file program to install in it. After installing got a 100% throttle then. I've sense changed the mcor but I never changed the throttle curve back to a standard setting.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car