lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Mustangkid2006
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question Possible lightning

I have a 2007 precedent, we had some bad weather yesterday, today I went to take a ride and I noticed when I unplugged it the low battery light flashed several times. When I got on it and tried to back it out it still made the "clicking" sound and the sound it normal make around the controller but only for few seconds. I have my charger plugged into a GFCI outlet so I checked it and it was tripped so I reset and tried to charge it again, the charger still buzzes like it always has and the gauge shows it charging but only takes a few seconds for it to kick off. Does anyone know what it could be or what I should check?

Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated as I am new to golf cart scene!!! Thanks again
Mustangkid2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

Default Re: Possible lightning

does the cart still run or is your issue just with charging the batteries ??

I had to replace a controller for someone who left his cart charging during a lightning storm...

is your charger kicking off early cause your batts arefully charged ?????

if your cart runs...drive for 1/2 hour and attampt to recharge if the charger keeps shutting off then check the DIODES or DIODE BRIDGE in the charger ..use an ohm meter
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Mustangkid2006
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm thinking the charger is kicking off bc batteries are fully charged, but however the cart will not run. The cart has the 48volt system with the four 12volt batteries and between the batteries I'm guessing is were the controller is at, I can still hear it click and humb when I press on the gas but only for a few seconds.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

Lighjtning = power surge= blown gfi= SMOKED CONTROLLER.

ever since i replaced a controller for soneone who had the same problem i have installed surge protectors (metal oxide varistors ) in my charger and also in my campers circuit breaker panel.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Mustangkid2006
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ugh lol, I had planned on changing motor and controller out just not right now, do you know very much about D&D motorsports? I want their high torque motor but wasn't wanting to buy either of them now, I wonder if their controller will work with the stock motor? I only paid $2000 for my cart about two months ago just put the allsport 6" lift and tires and it has not a scratch on it man I sure didn't wanna spend that kind of money it rite now
Old 03-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

By no means, am I saying ForBruce is wrong, power surges play havoc on anything electronic!

but, you have an IQ system... is there any way you can get your cart to a CC dealer, and have them check it with a diagnostic tester?
It could be just an "error code" that may be locking things up.

I don't see any harm in getting it checked out first... It could just save you a couple of bucks!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
By no means, am I saying ForBruce is wrong, power surges play havoc on anything electronic!

but, you have an IQ system... is there any way you can get your cart to a CC dealer, and have them check it with a diagnostic tester?
It could be just an "error code" that may be locking things up.

I don't see any harm in getting it checked out first... It could just save you a couple of bucks!

He's got a point...I am being pessimistic. WHy don't you measure the pack voltage of your batteries ....and start with the simple things first...like also a HYDROMETER testing each cell of the battery....you could have a charger problem ..best to eliminate all in a logical way first....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery voltage chart verses charge .jpg (28.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

can you try resetting OBC to see if that cures cart?? charger sounds like a diode issue but i,m guessing at it since you seem to have 2 problems.........unless you can try your charger on another cart to see if it works...................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Controller is okay because the cart runs but runs like it needs charging.
Charger may have a bad rectifier. Take the charger to a shop for testing and repair. Then check and charge the batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
Mustangkid2006
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm really thinking that the batteries are fully charged, the cart will not run, I can hear the controller click and humming for only a few seconds after pressing the gas. I'm going to take the charger to the local shop next week to see if they can test it if it turns out to be good then I'll carry the cart to a CC dealer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car