lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
Flareside
Not Yet Wild

Default golf cart cuts out after reaching top speed

Hi guys,
Im new to the golf cart world, but recently got an 06 Precedent electric cart for transport on paved roads in a beach community. Cart looks and runs well but I was wondering if its normal to accelerate to a (perceived) peak speed and then the cart just cut out? I have to take my foot off the gas completely and then put it back down to keep it going. Is this normal?
Ultimately if this is a top speed of around 10mph, I would like it to simply accelerate to 10mph and then just stay at that speed without it cutting out and having to take my foot off every time and then put it back down to keep it going? It gets to be a PITA.

It does have new batteries and they are holding a charge well and this still happens. The manual I downloaded doesnt mention this as a trouble shooting topic and I couldnt find anything when doing a search.
Any help or advice to stop this problem or possibly add 5mph would be a huge plus. Thanks in advance
Flareside is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: golf cart cuts out after reaching top speed

it seems that from 04 to 07 they had a lot of speed sensor issues, i,m not saying this is your problem but its a starting point and a cheap fix if it turns out to be speed sensor..................theres a real simple test that should be in the stickies you can try that should tell you for sure.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
Flareside
Not Yet Wild

I will definitely try and look up that sticky. I would love to get this problem fixed. Thanks for the reply
Old 04-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
wareaglecj
Not Yet Wild

I have the same cart and had a similar problem. Performed the roll test and determined it was my speed sensor. I was running 9mph but now I top out at 16. The way I tested mine was to put the cart in forward and push it by hand. If the sensor is working there will be resistance which is there to keep the cart from rolling away from you. Mine rolled freely and that was the problem. $75 part and a 15 minute fix. Hope this helps and good luck.
wareaglecj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Flareside
Not Yet Wild

Tried the roll test that you mentioned today and when in forward the cart rolls freely. Sounds like I have the same exact issue. Where did you order the sensor from and is there a photo detailing where the sensor is/ how to change it?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flareside View Post
Tried the roll test that you mentioned today and when in forward the cart rolls freely. Sounds like I have the same exact issue. Where did you order the sensor from and is there a photo detailing where the sensor is/ how to change it?
See starting page 14-2 . . look for your motor type . . then look for "Speed Sensor" in parts list to see which detail # it is in the drawing:

2005-2006 Precedent Individual Parts List
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
Flareside
Not Yet Wild

Which manual are you referring to? I just have the users manual and page 14 refers to motor braking? Do I need a repair manual?
Edit- just saw your link....checking now
Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Flareside
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Steve. I found it to be motor EJ4-4001
speed sensor p/n 102704901

Now just have to look around for prices. Should be an easy install?
Do sensors come pre programmed for mph?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flareside View Post
Thanks Steve. I found it to be motor EJ4-4001
speed sensor p/n 102704901

Now just have to look around for prices. Should be an easy install?
Do sensors come pre programmed for mph?
1. Easy install.
2. Speed sensor not programmable . . . the controller is programmable for speed.
3. For price comparison: Speed Sensor on eBay

. . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
CD43
Not Yet Wild

Mine 2006 Precedent is doing the same thing, after new battery install, we went for a spin yesterday, I hear a click coming from the back-end and then it cuts out, and I have to release the pedal, and push it down again! Couldn't find the sticky about the roll test :(
Thanks so much
CD43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car