lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
SV1
Getting Wild

Default Battery boil over question

The cart is a 2005 Precedent 4 12 Volts. I bought the cart used but according to the salesman, the batts are 2 years old. Batt #3 boils over when charged. All batts appear to be at the correct water level Except #3 which has worked itself down to just barely above the plates.
The cart was fully charged and 14 hours later the batts read #1=12.87V #2=12.84V,#3=12.85V, #4=12.77V. All of the batts had a specific gravity above 1.3. Seeing all the volt and gravity numbers were off the charts (I don't even know if it is possible to go too high), I purchased a new hydrometer and obtained the same results. Both Hydrometers claim they are accurate cold or hot. I was told the same Hydrometers are used on deep cycle as starting batts so I hope that's true and I didn't make a mistake there.
The charger. When plugged into the cart, the charger's gauge goes up to about 1/3rd for a while then drops to a lower level for a while, then to about 3 for a while and then shuts off. (sorry I haven't paid close attention to the amp readings) The cycle depends on the use but it is at least done by the AM. I only use the cart on weekends so once it is charged, I disconnect the charger.
What do you guys think is causing the boil over?

Thanks in advance.
SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Battery boil over question

try swapping it to another spot.....see if that battery boils over or if the same battery in a different spot still boils over.....will eliminate wether its a cart/charger problem or a battery issue or nothing at all........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV1 View Post
All of the batts had a specific gravity above 1.3. Seeing all the volt and gravity numbers were off the charts (I don't even know if it is possible to go too high), I purchased a new hydrometer and obtained the same results.
Wow. I'm no expert but I would think the only way this is possible is that when the batteries were low, the person doing the maintenance added acid instead of distilled water?

Any date codes on the batteries?

Was this cart a recent purchase? What does the "salesman" you mention have to say about this issue?
delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
SV1
Getting Wild

I moved the battery and the offender boiled over. The batteries are date coded at two 1/2 years old. I wouldn't trust any info from the dealer I purchased the cart from (all the batts were originally filled to top, not sure if it was him or the GC he bought the lot from) I hooked up with a Trojan battery engineer. He didn't have concerns about the readings being as high as they are. Given the volts, the gravity was in line. His instructions were to check volts when charging and if the boiling battery is charging at higher volts, the answer is the battery is just reacting differently than the others. It was charging at higher volts.

From you guy's experience does this seem plausible? Shadowman: I only charged once so I will continue to monitor that #3 spot. If you don't mind adding to my education, if the battery now in the three position had or starts to boil over what were you thinking the cause is/was or what would be the next step?

Thanks. I'll spare you all my whining about dealing with the acid run off.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
wbwood
Getting Wild

Club Car

From my understanding, the water level should be closer to just above the plates...nowhere near the top of cell.
wbwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
zx104u2nv
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Don't know if this helps, but last year I purchased a new set of Interstate batteries (a friend got me a deal) and ever since the day I installed them I've had a couple that boil over and you can even smell them. I've had them all checked by Interstate and they are all good and run fine. I don't know if it's the type of caps they use or what, but I never had this problem before with my other batteries. So I just have a mat on the ground now and try to keep the battery tops clean and know in a couple years I'll get a good set of batteries this time.
zx104u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
SV1
Getting Wild

Yes that helps to know someone else is experiencing the same thing with no real problem and that I am probably not looking at a repair bill. It must be just be one of those things can happen.

Thanks to all
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car