lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2019, 06:24 AM   #1
Champion5
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 ezgo marathon bogging down

Well I thought I could fix her completely up without have to post a single question here. I joined when I got my fix er up cart and found all the info I needed to completely tear down and rebuild the engine, reupholster the seats and get her back together. When it was all done I fired her up and it ran perfect, but just for a couple minutes.

First time it just shut down. Checked the fuel pump and no gas. Once it cooled down it started working again. Replaced the existing electric fuel pump with a brand new factory mechanical pump and it works perfect.

Now it just wont run good. Seemed like too much fuel (flowing out of the carb breather tube) so I installed a regulator and that didn't work.

I took apart the new aftermarket carb and it's perfectly clean.

I have a 50:1 oil mix I'm running for the first tank.

Is this a spark problem? I can take the spark plug wire right out of the coil easily. It looks like the factory coil still.

Video link below... I can press on the gas and it will fire right up, then bog down, then come back up but hardly ever max rpms...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6tTSnclWJ0
Champion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1987 ezgo marathon bogging down

Did you get the piston in correctly? The port in the side goes towards the intake port, Can be checked by looking into the exhaust port....

Sometimes those new aftermarket carbs will do strange things, I've had real good luck with them but I did have one go bad with no obvious reason. My final conclusion was there must have been a crack in the casting somewhere, You also might make sure the little ball is in place in the casting that protrudes into the bottom of the bowl, I've seen that once too that made it flood out (pic). But they're cheap enough to buy another......

I think the coil on your 87 is the same as on my 85, if so I've heard the coil wire screws down into it on a stud. I've never had to mess with mine but if yours comes right off I'd say buy another coil wire and simply replace it..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ball and cracked casting.jpg (135.5 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #3
Champion5
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Did you get the piston in correctly? The port in the side goes towards the intake port, Can be checked by looking into the exhaust port....

Sometimes those new aftermarket carbs will do strange things, I've had real good luck with them but I did have one go bad with no obvious reason. My final conclusion was there must have been a crack in the casting somewhere, You also might make sure the little ball is in place in the casting that protrudes into the bottom of the bowl, I've seen that once too that made it flood out (pic). But they're cheap enough to buy another......

I think the coil on your 87 is the same as on my 85, if so I've heard the coil wire screws down into it on a stud. I've never had to mess with mine but if yours comes right off I'd say buy another coil wire and simply replace it..

Thanks for the reply. I made sure to get the piston in right. After all the comments on here I tripled checked while I was doing it.
I took the carb back off and checked it for cracks and made sure that little ball was in there. I also checked the coil and you’re right it is a little screw in there so I twisted it down real good.
When it first fires up it will go full throttle and within a couple seconds it bogs down and I have to ride it at half throttle. That’s when the gas starts coming out the breather tube so I know the bowl is overflowing. I checked the manual and it says it’s supposed to have two fuel filters before and after the pump. Would this restrict the gas flow more so it doesn’t flood out? I only have one before the fuel pump. There’s got to be some stupid adjustment I’m missing with this carb. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Champion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

One fuel filter before the pump is all I use and should be fine, and no they wouldn't have anything to do with any needed restriction. Wish I could see your link but it doesn't work...

Did you remove the governor? If not do that..

Perhaps the float valve (needle & seat) is leaking....

I'd try another carb, they're cheap enough. IF it has a crack in the casting you may not be able to see it. If that doesn't help then you'll at least have an extra cheapie carb for later lol....
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:55 PM   #5
Rat_fink
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm no expert by any means, but I would check your float and needle. The float could possibly be cracked and sinking in the gas in the bowl, or your needle could be leaking allowing the bowl to flood...
Rat_fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO