lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #21
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: OLD BLUE,85 marathon re-construction

Rascal is right - other than bigger tires there is no way to get that pumpkin higher off the ground.

22X11-8's are about the easiest tire to find, actually - These are the ones I used on the current project, they're nothing super spectacular but they are priced right and they are 4-ply, so the sidewalls are far stiffer than the 2-ply crap most cart places will try to sell you if you're on a budget:

http://www.greaterclevelandtire.com/...ne-D929/Detail

As to offset rims, they'll run you around $17 each plus shipping for regular steel ones, the other option (which I use on my carts as it gives you the added stability of a wider wheelbase) are wheel spacers, they'll run you right around $15 a wheel and are available in both 2" per side and 2.5" per side depending on how wide you'd like to go (I went 5" wider on my 88 because it has flares on the rear fenders and 4" on the current cart because it doesn't - the more tire you expose the more mud and poop you'll be throwing all over when you drive) - search Ebay for username "ATVEngineering" - their spacers are really well built and a breeze to install.

Lastly, while the look of 10's, 12's, or even 13's is really cool, keep in mind that the higher the rim size the less sidewall you'll have - on the upside the bigger tires have very little "sway" even if you are running them at low pressure, on the downside unless you ARE running low pressures they tend to ride like a brick offroad
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

yep seems correct lilrascal,,as i been looking at that myself past few minutes..so all i got to do is get some 3 inch pipe tomorrow and i have the rest of material laying around..
i have some 2 inch dom 1/4 wall round tube left over from my jeep long arm build a while back and will use that for the front lift,and weld it all the way around on the old axle perch and bolt the springs to the top..
well got the wheels off and the front spring plates,,been soaking the shocks as im gonna have to lock down on them with bf pliers to get the bottom nut off.
some rust at the bottom but frame looks good.

i scraped down some paint and it seems it was a maroon red originaly i suppose,,grey primer under that..
sassycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #23
LiL' rascal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Hay brew, can you post a link to the wheel spacers?

And this is what I came up with for the front lift. I had to put a slight bevel on the top of the blocks to push the front tires away from the body. [IMG][/IMG]
LiL' rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #24
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170460284066...84.m1439.l2649

These are the 4" ones I used on the new project, if you want to go 5" just view the sellers other items, they're the same price just 1/2" wider per side ...

Lift looks good - the other shot to extend that front end is to use these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251125966813...84.m1438.l2649

Don't go running out and buying them just yet though - I haven't actually installed them on my cart yet so give me a few days to make sure they work like they should. The stock springs are 19", these are 20.5" so that should be just about right to get that axle out front a bit more
Old 10-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #25
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks guys i can see looking at mine that if you push the front end out too much like that then the pass side tie rod gets closer to the ground also...
brew,what wheels and tires on the green one in your avatar??
i think im def gonna go with 22-11-10 with the offset to push the wheels out a lil,,then make my own flares..prob go with sahara tires..i had them before and liked them,,they will see more off road than on but a lil on road as well.

if 23,s will fit id rather go big now tho lol
Old 10-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #26
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL' rascal View Post
Hay brew, can you post a link to the wheel spacers?

And this is what I came up with for the front lift. I had to put a slight bevel on the top of the blocks to push the front tires away from the body. [IMG][/IMG]

oh yeah,,looks just like what a wanna do except i think my round tube is smaller but 1.4 thick dom..should still work..
i wasnt gonna put the plate on botom and bolt them together,,im gonna weld the bottom to the axle plate thats there,,should be just as safe that way you guys think? i will gusset it too but dont think its needed
Old 10-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #27
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I absolutely LOVE the tires on my 88, they're Chen Shin Lumberjack 4-ply's ... I bought them a couple of years ago on clearance from Dennis Kirk for $40 each shipped - unfortunately to replicate them on the current cart would be well over twice as much, that's why I bought the Deestones for this one (that and I wanted something that wouldn't tear up the grass like the Lumberjacks - they're **** rough on the yard, even if I'm careful)
Old 10-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #28
LiL' rascal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Hay sassycat. Have out got any progress done on your build yet? Love to see more pics.

Look at me, I can't even take the anticipation of someone else's build!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #29
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

i got everything cut up and ready except for the piece that will keep the spring in place on top of the 3 inch pipe for the rear spacers..
hoping to get it done tomorrow if nothing comes up

then get some shock measurments to see if any i have may work for now..
im gonna do like you mentioned and let the front lift slide the axle forward just a smiggin..
still need to buy a tie rod or 2 also..
Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #30
LiL' rascal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

On the steering rod connected to the passenger side hub I had to make a cut up from the bottom side to bend it up and reweld it in that position because the tie rod going from the center steering arm wouldn't go far enough down to reach the new position of that hub arm.

That's even confusing for me to reed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO