lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
Lumpy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Finally got my 87 Marathon running good...thanks guys.

Been pretty frustrated since getting this thing home. It was very hard to start and even once it would start' it struggled something terrible to get up to any kind of speed. If you let off the gas, you were right back where you started.

I cleaned the carbs no less than 3 times, cleaned the fuel pump, tore the flywheel off to make sure the timing wasn't wonky, tested compression, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Right before sticking the motor back in for the second time, it dawned on me to look at the piston through the exhaust port, sure enough, the piston was backwards. Yesterday we tore the cylinder off and turned the piston around. New gaskets were installed and the motor was left to sit overnight.

Today we installed the motor and it fired right up. Clutches engage like they should and it takes right off. Its no race car but it runs good finally.

For all who have offered help, encouragement, or information, you have my thanks. I am no mechanic so I have learned a lot through all this. Thanks a bunch.

Lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
Cookiebuddy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Finally got my 87 Marathon running good...thanks guys.

Sure is a nice lookin cart, Lumpy. Glad to hear of your progress in things mechanical.
Cookiebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
Lumpy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Finally got my 87 Marathon running good...thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiebuddy View Post
Sure is a nice lookin cart, Lumpy. Glad to hear of your progress in things mechanical.
Thanks but looks can be deceiving. It will never be a nice cart but I think with a bit of paint it can be improved on. I'm actually considering a green and black military camo job on it. Those are easy to do and REALLY easy to touch up when ya bang them up.
Lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO