lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2021, 04:06 PM   #1
Gumbys69
Not Yet Wild

Default Igniter location on 1995 late model

So I’m trying to fix a running issue with my 95 and from what i understand the igniter is built into the coil if it is not on the front of the engine on the late model 95’s as per the manual. Is this true? I’m stumped trying to get this thing to stay running. Ive replaced the coil, spark plug and all micro switches. All wiring looks good with no cuts etc. Any ideas what to look for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3E7F972A-579E-44A6-BD61-A5BA596B8F2B.jpg (192.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg C263AB48-7B2C-4B32-8FD6-8CC8CEA74427.jpg (169.2 KB, 0 views)
Gumbys69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:58 PM   #2
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Igniter location on 1995 late model

Did you buy a coil with a built in igniter?

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk
mckittrick.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:59 PM   #3
Gumbys69
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittrick.joe View Post
Did you buy a coil with a built in igniter?

Yes i did, it was a direct replacement and was just under $100 not a cheapy one from Amazon. The new one does exactly what the old did so I’m guessing its possibly a wiring issue?
Old 09-22-2021, 08:00 PM   #4
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

A good one cost close to $100.

Old 09-23-2021, 01:09 AM   #5
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

I had similar problem. It was connection of spark plug wire to plug cap.

Old 09-23-2021, 06:44 AM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

OEM for a '95 would have a separate ignitor. Stock mounting location was the back side of the plate the RPM limiter mounts to. Should be a very small (less than 1/8") spade terminal, male on the ignitor and female on the wire bundled with the kill wire and all running under the RPM limiter. When they get replaced people mount them wherever it's convenient. If the coil you got was the stock type for 97 or newer it will fit just like the older style, but include the ignitor function in the coil - so no separate ignitor required. in fact the original ignitor would have to be disconnected for the newer style coil to work.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:34 PM   #7
Gumbys69
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
OEM for a '95 would have a separate ignitor. Stock mounting location was the back side of the plate the RPM limiter mounts to. Should be a very small (less than 1/8") spade terminal, male on the ignitor and female on the wire bundled with the kill wire and all running under the RPM limiter. When they get replaced people mount them wherever it's convenient. If the coil you got was the stock type for 97 or newer it will fit just like the older style, but include the ignitor function in the coil - so no separate ignitor required. in fact the original ignitor would have to be disconnected for the newer style coil to work.
Hmm i will have to look around on it. I checked the vin on the picture I posted and I definitely fall below where it has a change so i should have a separate igniter. Would it run with out one though as i bought it like that and also with the new coil it does exactly the same thing? I may need to see if it was mounted somewhere else.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:46 PM   #8
Gumbys69
Not Yet Wild

So i had another really close look. There is a black wire going to the coil and one going from the RPM limiter to the back of the cart through the harness? I don’t see a igniter anywhere on this thing. How would this thing run without an igniter though, the coil i replaced was identical (the old one looked original) Sometimes it runs for weeks with. No issue then sometimes it dies whenever it wants. Without an igniter it wouldn’t even spark would it?
Old 09-23-2021, 07:02 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Runs for weeks at a time?
Not likely to be spark related. I would think a carb issue, or water in the fuel tank maybe.

Without the igniter you'll get a spark but it would be very weak. The igniter lengthens the dwell time of the coil so the voltage on the secondary will build up higher. If it runs at all, then you must have the coil with the built in igniter already installed. The original coil on that cart would look identical, but it would not run at all without the igniter hooked up. SO if it runs, you very likely have the later style coil with the igniter built in.

The only way to rule out a spark issue is to run until it quits running, and then check spark while its acting up. Use a spare spark plug, or get an HEI style spark tester set for about 20kv, hook it up immediately when the cart quits running and see if the spark is strong and bright white, or if its weak, yellowish, or inconsistent.

You just replaced the coil, so should have a strong consistent white/blue spark.
Did you set the air gap of the coil to .012"? A business card between the coil and the flywheel magnet usually works perfect.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:02 PM   #10
Gumbys69
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Runs for weeks at a time?
Not likely to be spark related. I would think a carb issue, or water in the fuel tank maybe.

Without the igniter you'll get a spark but it would be very weak. The igniter lengthens the dwell time of the coil so the voltage on the secondary will build up higher. If it runs at all, then you must have the coil with the built in igniter already installed. The original coil on that cart would look identical, but it would not run at all without the igniter hooked up. SO if it runs, you very likely have the later style coil with the igniter built in.

The only way to rule out a spark issue is to run until it quits running, and then check spark while its acting up. Use a spare spark plug, or get an HEI style spark tester set for about 20kv, hook it up immediately when the cart quits running and see if the spark is strong and bright white, or if its weak, yellowish, or
inconsistent.

You just replaced the coil, so should have a strong consistent white/blue spark.
Did you set the air gap of the coil to .012"? A business card between the coil and the flywheel magnet usually works perfect.
Yeh thats what’s crazy, when i got this summer it worked great for a month and then one day it randomly died. I though it was fuel but when i put the inline spark tester as on as it dies i check and there is no spark. It then ran again for a few weeks but ordered a coil and all micro switches anyways and replaced it and it does exactly the same thing. It’s so weird for such a simple system it is really giving me lots of grief.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car