lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
Darthvagrant
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Learning curve

New to “golf carting”, recently bought a 2002 EZGO cart. Decided to join my neighbors riding what would normally be consider ATV trails. We are limited to electric golf carts being in need of their “stealth” qualities. (Riding quasi-secret trails within the area) The cart I bought had a bad motor bearing. Piece'O cake, I thought. Wrong-0 , Bat man! The bearing had at one time locked up allowing the armature shaft to friction weld to the inner bearing race. The bearing then broke loose and rotated with an unbelievably loud howling noise. Cart ran OK, but stealth qualities out-the-door. Impossible to get the bearing off the armature shaft. Enter new D&D DM1S002-1 36Volt motor. Laughably rated at 8.3 horse power, but looked well built and less than $400. Actually, way less. Back on the trails, the new D&D proved nearly identical to the failed EZGO OEM motor, same top speed, maybe a little more torque. Converted all lighting to LED, lost maybe 20% lumen output, cut current draw to just about nothing. Cheap Chinese flasher that was “self powered”, and would “flash” on just a few milliamps for turn signals.
Still wish I could get an electric ATV, as describing the use of our golf carts as “extreme duty” an understatement. My existing dirt bike sits idle now. Riding it back in Michigan now a fond memory. Riding in the 'retired senior citizen area' on my golf cart a totally new experience. At least it reduced my “carbon footprint”. Golf cart-2, dirt bike -10. Sadly, my only convenient / current choice, but still fun.
Darthvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Learning curve

Darthvagrant, WELCOME. seeing as how you are new to carts.....you probably don't know that there are 2 different drive systems for a 2002. below this I will attach a picture that will allow you to know which your cart is. if you have any issues in the future, start off by telling us that year/model and drive system type and the responses will come quicker, and be more accurate.

The fact that the new upgraded motor didn't increase the speed tells me that most likely you have a SERIES drive system, and although they are very sturdy, and the motors can provide more torque, the speed will remain the same....unless you do things like up the voltage of the entire system, which would require a complete system upgrade, or buy a High Speed motor, which for your use (off-road) probably wouldn't do. we would need more info, as to the terrain, and that sort of thing.

You can see in my signature, I have a 2006, which for all intensive purposes is the same as your cart, mine is a SERIES drive.....but have upgraded the entire drive system. where I am at its all pretty much flat....and I do go off road a little, but since its flat, not a big deal that I have a high speed motor....as you can see, even though I am still at 36v.....it will run 27 MPH all day long and has a 25 mile or so range.

Here is the picture I mentioned earlier:

ezgoguide.jpg

OH and btw.....I almost forgot.......

CONGRATS on your ride and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wives', husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Learning curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthvagrant View Post
New to “golf carting”, recently bought a 2002 EZGO cart. Decided to join my neighbors riding what would normally be consider ATV trails. We are limited to electric golf carts being in need of their “stealth” qualities. (Riding quasi-secret trails within the area) The cart I bought had a bad motor bearing. Piece'O cake, I thought. Wrong-0 , Bat man! The bearing had at one time locked up allowing the armature shaft to friction weld to the inner bearing race. The bearing then broke loose and rotated with an unbelievably loud howling noise. Cart ran OK, but stealth qualities out-the-door. Impossible to get the bearing off the armature shaft. Enter new D&D DM1S002-1 36Volt motor. Laughably rated at 8.3 horse power, but looked well built and less than $400. Actually, way less. Back on the trails, the new D&D proved nearly identical to the failed EZGO OEM motor, same top speed, maybe a little more torque. Converted all lighting to LED, lost maybe 20% lumen output, cut current draw to just about nothing. Cheap Chinese flasher that was “self powered”, and would “flash” on just a few milliamps for turn signals.
Still wish I could get an electric ATV, as describing the use of our golf carts as “extreme duty” an understatement. My existing dirt bike sits idle now. Riding it back in Michigan now a fond memory. Riding in the 'retired senior citizen area' on my golf cart a totally new experience. At least it reduced my “carbon footprint”. Golf cart-2, dirt bike -10. Sadly, my only convenient / current choice, but still fun.
In its stock form, and electric golf cart is designed to carry two golfers and their clubs over groomed golf cart trails at about 12 to14 MPH for about 5 to 6 miles in 18 short hops with a few minutes rest in between, on a single charge. If you want to do much more than that, you have to upgrade the drive system.

You have a series drive cart, or at least the motor you installed is a series motor. From what I can determine a DM1S002-1 is actually a D&D 170-002-0001 series motor, which is advertised to up the stock speed by about 15% and increase the toque by 10%.

The 8.3 HP rating is most likely valid, but HP ratings of golf cart (traction) motors in general is laughable since they cannot be used for comparisons unless they are associated with the RPM at which the HP was calculated. IE: HP = Torque times RPM divide by 5252.

Please note that the relatively mild torque and speed increases listed for the new motor are at 36V with a stock (275A) controller. Upgrading to a higher amp controller will increase the torque and upgrading to a higher voltage battery pack will increase both torque an speed.

A SPM48500 controller and a 48V battery pack with matching solenoid and cables, would do wonders for that cart.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO