lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
98 EZGO User
Not Yet Wild

Post 98 EZGO TXT Spindle Bushings

I just bought a 98 EZGO TXT Golf Cart, the spindle on the left side has a lot of movement (slop). How do I get the old bushings out? I removed the bolt and tried to hammer it out but it wont move, any help is appreciated.

Thanks
98 EZGO User is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
98 EZGO User
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 98 EZGO TXT Spindle Bushings

Can anyone give me a little guidance on how to get these spindles off?
Old 06-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I've not done this to a cart.....but in a past life....like 40 years ago when I was young and healthy....and bought nothing but $200 cars that always needed ball joints,.....I did a youtube search and took a look at this spindle lift install video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sG5Wj5Hg_g

Now, I'm not sure if your saying the hub is "galled" onto the spindle, or the spindle is is galled onto the King-Pin? (See the video) However, whichever one you have....it may be or may not be a serious issue. If it's the hub that you can't get off, you may want to "flood" it with a penetrating oil and let it sit for a day and go back at it. Another approach would be to remove the spindle with the hub attached, and attempt to remove the hub that way....since you would have the ability to get better leverage on the hub...while protecting it.

I suppose the worse case would be you would have to replace the spindle.

Again, I haven't done this, but perhaps these suggestions will help.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #4
98 EZGO User
Not Yet Wild

The hub is not stuck to the spindle. I took the pins that go thru the spindle out and cant get the bushing or whatever is in there down to get the spindle off the axle.

Last edited by 98 EZGO User; 06-02-2015 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: misspelled
Old 06-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 EZGO User View Post
The hub is not stuck to the spindle. I took the pins that go thru the spindle out and cant get the bushing or whatever is in there down to get the spindle off the axle.
Its because they are PRESSED IN. the best way to get the bushing's out of the spindle would go to a auto parts/machine shop and have them pressed out, and have your new bushings with you had have them press in the new ones. IF the new bushings have grease holes in them that will line up with the grease zerks, ensure you bring that to the attention of the shop so that they will line up once then are installed.

the bushings MAY require reaming for an exact fit once they are pressed in......
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #6
98 EZGO User
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation Re: 98 EZGO TXT Spindle Bushings

But shouldnt I be able to get the spindle off the axle beam to take and get pressed out, or do I have to take the whole front axle beam off also?
Old 06-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I downloaded the service manual for my 1998 TXT and was able to remove and replace EVERYTHING, without pressing. The only problem is once I replaced everything user serviceable, it still had too much slop at 35+ MPH, so I replaced the whole steering box, which had several non-user replaceable bushings inside.

Anyway, it was no problem for me, so you should not have a problem.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
98 EZGO User
Not Yet Wild

can you give me a link to download that manual? sure could use it.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Yeah.....I'm thinking you should not have to have them pressed off. I would think your bearing's are (again) galled onto your spindle's. That would indicate to me that your spindles were not greased enough, or perhaps ran under water a lot....and again, not kept greased.

Just my .02 cents.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:38 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well if they aren't pressed in......there is something else going on.....and after looking at the video that Dave posted.....at the 4 min 40 sec mark, the spindle should just come out in your hand......I mean after you took the bolt out.....a tap on it should have it fall into your hand.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO