lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2015, 11:49 PM   #1
cufu205
Not Yet Wild

Default Runs in reverse but wont budge in forward

I just purchased a 1987 ez go GAS marathon. When I put it in fwd one of the wires going to the starter/generator starts smoking and gets really hot. Is the starter generator bad or could it be something else causing the resistance. I checked the wiring diagram and I believe it looks all correct and tight. Is there any test I can do first before just ordering up parts? Can I safely swap wires without further damaging things ? It starts and drives fine in reverse but doesn't budge or even click in fwd. any help greatly appreciated new to the cart world
cufu205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2015, 02:13 AM   #2
Jnkyrdg04
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Runs in reverse but wont budge in forward

I have the same problem at the moment.
Jnkyrdg04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #3
MarineGrunt
Getting Wild

Can you take a picture that shows where the wires go or at least let us know what they hook to? I can then check mine to see if yours is wires up correctly. You may also be able to find a wiring diagram somewhere online.
MarineGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
cufu205
Not Yet Wild

Ok will take some pics. I have a wiring diagram but very difficult to understand all of it. My big wire seem to be correct. I took apart the fnr switch to look for broken or damaged contacts and all looks ok but one of the micro switches does not have a wire going to one of the leads. Is that normal I don't see a wire to hook up either. Some of the micro switches I see online for sale seem to have a jumper wire from one microswitch lead to another microswitch lead.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #5
MarineGrunt
Getting Wild

Does your cart "beep" while in reverse? I'm guessing someone just removed the wire so it wouldn't. On my 93 one wire goes from the microswitch from the reverse side of the lever to the switch on the forward side of the lever. Mine was unhooked when I got it but hooked it back up. I put duct tape over the speaker so it wasn't as load though. It's real easy to jump on the cart, step on the gas, and not realize you're in reverse. If someone or something is behind you it could get ugly. I can barely hear by beep but it's enough to where I know I'm in reverse when I get off the cart so I know to put in the forward position.
MarineGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
cufu205
Not Yet Wild

Yes the reverse buzzer i believe is unplugged i have a red and black thin wire from a round device on the back side of the fnr switch that is unplugged. Ok so maybe one of those wires are supposed to go to the tab on the micro switch that is missing a wire. Would make sense so when you put in reverse it sends the signal to buzz. I noticed today when i put in fwd that the big pully started to move ever so slightly. Not enough to move cart though and wire still smoked on starter. I would assume that means all my switches and wires would be correct if it is trying to move. Maybe it is the starter.generator going bad or that is bad afterall, giving it some sort of resistance to turn and making wire get hot ?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO