lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
17deanju
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 EZGO Clutch stays engaged

We recently purchased a 1987 EZGO golf cart with a 2-stroke engine. It has worked great up until a few days ago when the belt became stuck down in the clutch pulley, (I'm not sure on the proper term of these things so take a look at the pictures). The engine isn't strong enough to start itself and push the cart at the same time. I know that the belt is supposed to move up and down in the two pulley as the engine turns faster, which makes the cart go faster, (centrifugal clutch). We can't remove the belt because it is tight to the bottom of the pulleys like it is fully engaged, even though the engine isn't running. So we're basically stuck... What do I do? I don't know how to remove the belt or the pulleys. Any help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (82.2 KB, 0 views)
17deanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
ls1chris
Getting Wild

Default Re: 1987 EZGO Clutch stays engaged

yea the primary drive is sticking :( that sucks. doesnt have a neutral position to try and start it?
someone will chime in soon with some pointers
ls1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
17deanju
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your reply!

We haven't had it very long and it doesn't seem to me like there is a neutral position, but I'm going to look now that you brought it up.

I believe though, that on most gas golf carts, the engine won't roll over when it's in neutral (not really sure why but that's the way it is on my uncle's TXT)
Old 06-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
ls1chris
Getting Wild

i have an rxv, has a kawasaki motor but if i put the F-R switch in the middle position it hit nuetral, i think something maybe is buggered in that primary clutch though and will have to come off and be inspected.
ls1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The engine runs in different directions for forward and reverse. So no, there is no neutral position on your cart.

You will need to get that clutch unstuck for anything to happen.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #6
17deanju
Not Yet Wild

Do you know how that primary clutch comes out? It looks to me like the rear axel has to come down to make room to slide it off the shaft (see picture)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (153.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-15-2015, 05:19 PM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Some people have been able to tilt the engine enough, but it's probably easier to remove the whole thing.

That long bolt needs to be removed from the shaft. Then a short piece of 3/8" rod is inserted. A 3/4" fine thread bolt is screwed in on top of that. It usually takes an air impact to turn that bolt, and the clutch pops off.

You are probably better off unsticking the clutch before removing it. Remove the 3 screws, and see what happens when that cover plate is removed. You might get lucky.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:37 PM   #8
17deanju
Not Yet Wild

Well here is what I found:

I can see that someone has been in there before because there is a bunch of weld built up around the center.

I also noticed those small curved pieces of metal. One of them is tight, but the other two are loose and swing back and forth. Which one is correct? I don't know what they are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (225.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #9
racin161
Gone Wild

The 2 loose ones are correct. Use pb balster and free up and clean as many parts as possible. The weld was a repair done at some point trying to save a $250.00 clutch. You need to free up the drum so it will slide on the shaft and you should be ok.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:31 AM   #10
17deanju
Not Yet Wild

She's all set!!!

We soaked it with a little WD-40 and used a small hammer to break it free. Took the grease gun and squirted two or three pumps on each one and put it back together.

Just took it for a ride and she works better than it did before! Thanks again everyone for your help!

I'll post more pictures when we get all the turn signals and brakes and stuff hooked up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (228.6 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO