lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #11
dlkeaton44
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ-GO Industrial 800E will try to move but will not and wires getting hot.

So last night I took all of the wires loose from the motor and cleaned every connection on the motor. The only other place I need to disconnect and clean is where the other end of the wires that connect to the forward / reverse switch. (I ran out of daylight) I jacked up the back end again and tried it. It went a little faster but still the jerky quarter turn, stop, quarter turn, stop, etc... Wires still getting progressively hotter the longer I test it. Only thing that happened that was different is that something arched at the forward/reverse switch. I could not see from where so I kept testing it to see if I could see it again but it did not happen again. The wheels move freely in neutral so I know its not the brakes and the switch works in the sense that if I select forward it moves forward and moves backwards for reverse. I think it either has to be in the motor or the forward /reverse switch but I am not sure. Thinking about putting a stick of dynamite under it and watching it blow up just for the pure joy that would bring.
dlkeaton44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #12
crash test dummy

Default Re: EZ-GO Industrial 800E will try to move but will not and wires getting hot.

can you tell which motor lugs are which ? a1 a2 s1 s2 ?
Old 09-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #13
crash test dummy

motor test

WARNING you don't want to make a big spark anywhere near the battery.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #14
dlkeaton44
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Crash Test Dummy I have been looking for a way to test the motor with out taking it off. I will try that this Saturday.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:45 AM   #15
dlkeaton44
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well Crash Test Dummy's chart was perfect. The bad news is I think I need a new motor. I hooked the motor up just like the chart says and the motor turned the wheels but just like it did before. Jerky, quarter turn hesitate and repeat. and the brand new thick gauge wires I was using to test the motor started getting hot as well. I also used a different voltage meter (Because my old one started acting up) to check the battery pack voltage when the motor was hooked back up and it went from 38.2 down to 34.6 when I pressed the pedal down. So my next question is where is the best place to buy a used motor or what do you guys recommend?
Old 09-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #16
crash test dummy

34.6 is ok if you had a full load on
you will need to pull motor and see how many splines the coupling has
Old 09-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #17
dlkeaton44
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Crash Test Dummy. Planning on doing that this weekend. I will let you know
Old 10-07-2015, 09:13 AM   #18
dlkeaton44
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
34.6 is ok if you had a full load on
you will need to pull motor and see how many splines the coupling has
OK, so I am totally confused again on what to do. I was fairly confident that my motor was bad after your test and it still doing the same thing. However, I found a local guy that repairs golf carts who has a used series motor for sale. I went to look at it and he and I got to talking and he says he does not think it is my motor that is bad and that it is my forward/ reverse switch that I need to replace. Does that make sense to you? So now I am not sure if I need to buy a forward/reverse switch first then if that does not work go buy the motor. Would prefer to not spend another $100 bucks if it is not necessary. I still do not understand why when the motor was hooked up straight to 12volts it did the jerky motion with the wheels if the forward/reverse switch is the problem?????? He just royally confused me. But I have to take his experience in mind as well. Thoughts?
Old 10-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #19
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

A fwd/rev switch problem would not cause the test cables during the motor test to get hot. The fwd/rev switch was not in the test circuit. You better stick with the help you get here.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #20
dlkeaton44
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Radioman, I agree with you. I think I am going to buy the used motor and go from there.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO