lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #11
King Nothing
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
What charger do you have?
I have a powerwise charger. I also have 3 battery tenders that I could hook each up to 2 batteries in series

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2016, 09:31 PM   #12
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Winter storage?

I don't know about a cart charger, I think I would turn it on once in a while and not leave it on. The only ones I leave on are the automatic 12v for automotive. The ones I have actually turn off the LED goes out, they only do 1 or 2A.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:16 AM   #13
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
I have a powerwise charger. I also have 3 battery tenders that I could hook each up to 2 batteries in series

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
The STOCK charger does NOT have a float/maintenance mode, so you would have to have another way to keep the batteries charged after the initial charge is finished.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:29 AM   #14
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I work with a seasonal campground here in Indiana, so I understand your concern. How long are you planning to store the cart? Honestly if it's fully charged and you disabled (disconnect one of the main cables) it should coast through the winter fine, but if you can get at it to check on the voltage at least once through the winter it may set your mind at ease. Will you have access to it while stored? If you put it away fully charged (in November?) and can check on it and charge for a while if needed in January or February you should be fine till April or so - if that sounds about right for your storage season. Yes they will lose some charge while sitting, but so long as there is no current draw off the pack it shouldn't be enough to put them in jeopardy.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sulfation occurs when the pack is left to sit as little as 10% below full or at 90% capacity for extended periods of time. The pack can loose 0.75-1% per day. In as little as one month the pack will be sulfating the plates. This is hard to undo 100% so a little of this sufation remains. This reduces the battery capacity.
Even a small amount of sulfation will add up and shorten the useful life of the batteries. Batteries kept on a float charge loose 0% capacity in storage and have 0 chance of freeze damage.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:36 AM   #16
King Nothing
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
The STOCK charger does NOT have a float/maintenance mode, so you would have to have another way to keep the batteries charged after the initial charge is finished.

It doesn't? I thought it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #17
King Nothing
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
I work with a seasonal campground here in Indiana, so I understand your concern. How long are you planning to store the cart? Honestly if it's fully charged and you disabled (disconnect one of the main cables) it should coast through the winter fine, but if you can get at it to check on the voltage at least once through the winter it may set your mind at ease. Will you have access to it while stored? If you put it away fully charged (in November?) and can check on it and charge for a while if needed in January or February you should be fine till April or so - if that sounds about right for your storage season. Yes they will lose some charge while sitting, but so long as there is no current draw off the pack it shouldn't be enough to put them in jeopardy.

It will be in my garage so I will have access to it anytime. Stored beginning of November through the end of March

Old 10-17-2016, 08:41 AM   #18
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
It doesn't? I thought it did.

Only cart charger that I know to have a float mode is the17 amp DPI Accusense ... Many as in most chargers simply shut down and wait for a timed cycle to restart them such as 14 or 28 days etc...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:19 AM   #19
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Batteries need to be charged about once a month during winter to prevent sulphation damage. One solution is to buy a maintainer which will keep them charged all winter. I use on my car that I leave for 8 months at a time.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Real easy to recharge once a month if it's in your garage. For best results take it out for a spin if you can before recharging.....good idea but not absolutely necessary
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO