lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2021, 03:30 PM   #21
pri_i_oh
Getting Wild
Columbia

Default Re: HEI Conversion Information

I would still need to get the ignition module right?
pri_i_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2021, 10:21 PM   #22
tcanthonyii
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
I just noticed this. The points serve as the Hall Effect trigger just like in your chain saw example. Modern systems use magnets for the Hall trigger but points do the same thing.

I have been told that what the modules do is create a much longer lasting spark so that timing becomes much less tedious. They also aren't really impacted by point wear much in that, because the spark lasts long, the cart doesn't have to be continually timed to match wearing points.
I bought a couple modules. I may try it sometime.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 03:22 PM   #23
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I have a critical and positive update about the HEI conversion. It's mentioned in a earlier post in this thread but, essentially, another poster found a product at "Princess Auto" that seemed to be some type of HEI conversion kit. I found the same one on Amazon located here:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-ELE...en%2C79&sr=1-2

This is for a two pack but there are singles there as well.

I have installed and tested these on a Columbia cart that I am working on and these DO work. For that matter, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work on any engine if the wiring is correct. I still have some monkeying to do but these are looking like a promising and much easier way to do an HEI conversion.

I will make a formal wiring diagram when I get a moment but generally, when looking at the FRONT of the new module (as opposed to the epoxied rear):

- The right terminal on the new module goes to the microswitch AND to the + on the coil.

- The left terminal on the module goes to ground.

- The module itself needs grounded via its mounting hole.

- The wire from the points goes to - on the coil.

A pic of the module in my cart is attached.

A couple of notes:

1) For about $11, I have no idea how long this is going to last. We'll see.

2) When I say I still have to "monkey" with the cart some still, primarily I mean that the timing isn't quite what it was. The cart is running but not like it was before. I suspect that this new module isn't producing as long as a spark as the old module was, or something like that. It's a timing issue for sure, though. I just don't have time this week to fudge with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-08-10 162337.jpg (149.9 KB, 0 views)
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 09:05 AM   #24
tcanthonyii
Not Yet Wild

Sweet! I need to test that out on mine. I keep those modules around for converting old techumseh snowblower engines to electronic. The points on those is under the flywheel and a royal PITA. I've studied the wiring on doing this for hours and never could decide what to do.

I wonder if coupling this with that harley deal I was messing with would do anything. Now I'm thinking.... The golf cart is put up for the winter but I'll need to re-visit in the spring.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar