lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2017, 08:20 PM   #1
daroosta25
Gone Wild

Default 2012 RXV purple wire under cupboard

I bought an RXV with working street legal light kit. Everything worked great. The person I bought the cart from installed a battery gauge with the bars on to the cup holder instead of the dash. The bar always showed the batteries being half full. I removed the cup holder and noticed a purple wire attached spliced in with the blue wire on the battery gauge. I checked the current from the black and red wire and it showed 12 volts
I removed the purple wire and left it hanging and straight wired the positive wire and negative wire to the main positive and negative across the pack causing the battery meter to work correctly showing 48 volts. Now, the headlights don't work, but the turn signals, brake lights and horn still work. Does the purple wire have anything to do with this happening? How can I correct this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daroosta25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2017, 02:07 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2012 RXV purple wire under cupboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by daroosta25 View Post
I bought an RXV with working street legal light kit. Everything worked great. The person I bought the cart from installed a battery gauge with the bars on to the cup holder instead of the dash. The bar always showed the batteries being half full. I removed the cup holder and noticed a purple wire attached spliced in with the blue wire on the battery gauge. I checked the current from the black and red wire and it showed 12 volts
I removed the purple wire and left it hanging and straight wired the positive wire and negative wire to the main positive and negative across the pack causing the battery meter to work correctly showing 48 volts. Now, the headlights don't work, but the turn signals, brake lights and horn still work. Does the purple wire have anything to do with this happening? How can I correct this?
That purple wire (and a similar connectored red wire) is part of the factory brake light relay circuit. For your controllers safety sake, it should not be used for anything else.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:30 AM   #3
daroosta25
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
That purple wire (and a similar connectored red wire) is part of the factory brake light relay circuit. For your controllers safety sake, it should not be used for anything else.

Bob

So, hook the purple wire and red wire back together and the lights should work again? It looks like the purple wire is coming from the back of the key switch area.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #4
daroosta25
Gone Wild

It was a red and blue wire not a red and black wire. I hooked the purple wire up with the blue wire and they work fine now

Old 04-30-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by daroosta25 View Post
So, hook the purple wire and red wire back together and the lights should work again? It looks like the purple wire is coming from the back of the key switch area.
NO! That would short out the brake light relay output from the controller and burn it out!

Those 2 wires are supposed to connect to an E-Z-GO relay that lets the controller control the brake lights on the cart. It sounds like someone may have reconfigured your brake light relay output as a power source for your lights instead of using a 48V to 12V converter. It's normally programmed for a 24V output to drive the brake light relay, but it is possible to reconfigure it as a constant on 0 - 48VDC programmable voltage output. Of course, I do not recommend that to be done, but it is possible that was what someone did.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:26 AM   #6
daroosta25
Gone Wild

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO