lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2017, 10:38 PM   #1
hecktwa
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Reassembly 1989 EZGO with 3pg

After several weeks of checking and rechecking on anything I may have done wrong the first time around on my rebuild, I'm beginning the process of putting it all back together. I haven't convinced myself that I've found the problem causing the no start after the rebuild and apparently too much fuel in the intake and exhaust ports as well as fuel standing in the crankcase. The main couple things I've been concerned about is the E-pump overwhelming the needle and seat on the carb and a poorly machined replacement cylinder. I am converting back to the original fuel pump and also have had my original cylinder machined for new O/S piston and rings. I began with 90 lbs compression and after rebuild just 70. I had to recheck both crank seals even though new...just to be sure they hadn't popped out. While the flywheel is off, I looked closely at the position of the pulsar mounting plate. I scribed around the screws that mount the plate the first time around before removing it for crank seal replacement. Attached photo shows the screws pretty much all the way towards the end of the elongated slots....this is precisely where it was before and it was running pretty well except for the oil burning it did. The manual states that the center of the mounting screws are to be lined up with the timing mark on the plate. I see no mark at all! According to the manual, the plate appears to be advanced as far as it will go. I had pretty decent blue spark after the rebuild...should I just leave it where it is rather than messing with the plate and timing? I see a mark on the front cover which is identified by the letters IG. I guess that means ignition timing mark. But with the cover installed you can't see the pulsar plate or any timing marks that may be on it? Before I put that flywheel back on, I want to make darn sure I've got that right. Any thoughts appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02134.jpg (200.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02135.jpg (255.5 KB, 0 views)
hecktwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
hecktwa
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reassembly 1989 EZGO with 3pg

Well, concerning the timing marks, I wire brushed the pulsar mount plate and with my bi-focals on I could just barely make out a scribe line on the plate. I'm going to assume this is the mark mentioned in the text. The previous position wasn't off from the mark by much, but as best I could, I centered the mount screw inline with the mark. I also took a small file and made the scribe mark deeper and more noticeable.

I got the engine back in the cart today but next up is the clutch assy...it has been hanging up a bit so I'm going to look inside and see how things look before re-installing it. Still wondering about that "IG" mark on the outside of the fan cover??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02136.jpg (216.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02138.jpg (181.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02126.jpg (248.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02143.jpg (218.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #3
racin161
Gone Wild

There may be a boss on the plastic fan that attaches to the flywheel that would alien when using a timing light and running the engine. I think you have it covered by aliening the marks when instilling the pulsar plate as you have !!!!

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
hecktwa
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah Lou, I hope I have too. I did read in the manual a way you can check the timing with a conventional timing light. It states:

a) Remove the dust plate from the cooling fan
shroud.
b) Set the engine R.P.M. at 1,500 RP.M. 200 in
forward rotation.
c) Illuminate the slit line on the cooling fan
shroud using a timing light and check if the slit
line and the embossed mark on the cooling
fan (FIG. L-14) are in alignment.
d) The timing is correct when the marks are in
alignment. (FIG. L-16)

I'm assuming the "slit line" they are referring to is the mark on the aluminum cover identified by letters "IG"?? There are two raised points on the cooling fan itself, 180 degrees apart...one which also has a small "slit line" on the top of it(what they are calling the embossed mark, I guess). Anyway, if the timing light method was to show timing was off enough to need correcting, that would require removal of the flywheel once again to adjust the pulsar plate...that would suck! So hopefully I am good to go without having to go thru all that. I actually had decent, blue spark both before and after the first rebuild, so I'm not thinking I have an ignition problem anyway. I'm pretty sure the excess fuel issue is going to end up being the main problem. I'll know pretty soon when I get ready to fire it up again.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I have an 85 2pg with the same ignition timing set up, I don't know if the forward rotation is the same but looking at your very first pic my forward rotation would be counter clockwise. IF your forward rotation is the same then your ignition timing is fully retarded, but either way I find it strange that your timing marks are all the way maxed to one side in the adjustment slot. Mine doesn't have marks but the book says in the center of the slot is correct.......BTW, Having a good quality spark is great news for the system but doesn't mean much until you get the timing correct

Hope that helps, Good Luck
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #6
hecktwa
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I understand what you're saying and that is why I have been researching this timing issue so much. I had the same concern with the pulsar plate screws almost completely to the limit of travel in the elongated slots. Assuming the mark I found on the plate is the actual timing reference mark, it still puts the screws pretty close to the edge of the slot. The figures in the electrical chapter of the manual shows the screws pretty much centered in the slot as you indicated. What I do know is that upon initial tear down, the screws were no where near the center of the slot and the cart did run pretty decent. Perhaps if it is retarded, maybe there is much more performance to be gained from what I started with?? Figure 16 in the electrical chapter shows moving the plate clockwise to advance and v-v for retarding the spark. However, the diagram doesn't specify whether they are showing forward or reverse rotation. Tomorrow I think I will see if I can static time it using the timing standard method shown on pg 13. Hopefully that will show me if I'm close or not.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecktwa View Post
I understand what you're saying and that is why I have been researching this timing issue so much. I had the same concern with the pulsar plate screws almost completely to the limit of travel in the elongated slots. Assuming the mark I found on the plate is the actual timing reference mark, it still puts the screws pretty close to the edge of the slot. The figures in the electrical chapter of the manual shows the screws pretty much centered in the slot as you indicated. What I do know is that upon initial tear down, the screws were no where near the center of the slot and the cart did run pretty decent. Perhaps if it is retarded, maybe there is much more performance to be gained from what I started with?? Figure 16 in the electrical chapter shows moving the plate clockwise to advance and v-v for retarding the spark. However, the diagram doesn't specify whether they are showing forward or reverse rotation. Tomorrow I think I will see if I can static time it using the timing standard method shown on pg 13. Hopefully that will show me if I'm close or not.

Oooops on me, I'm wrong about it being fully retarded. I stared at that first pic again today and I was over (or perhaps under) thinking it yesterday, It is fully advanced. Sorry bout that, my bad. Yours probably runs CCW in forward too as it would make sense that someone would set it that far advanced in an attempt to gain performance.

When I put my fresh rebuild back together a few months ago I thought about giving it a lot more advanced than center but decided not to, IF it was less hassle to adjust it I would have experimented with it. But I will admit I did set it ever so very slightly past center. The pic shows where it was when I took it apart...

Also, One thing to keep in mind:
The farther advanced ya go the hotter it'll run and the farther retarded ya go the cooler it'll run, Heat is an enemy of any engine but especially an air cooled engine. It's the ole Performance vs Longevity thing
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 20170510_075440 (2).jpeg (109.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #8
hecktwa
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Dab for the clarification on that. I really have to wonder if the mark I found on the plate is in fact that actual mark from the factory. It clearly is not centered in the elongated slot so to install the plate with the screws centered on the mark(like the book says) makes it a good bit more advanced in my case. I'm considering breaking it back down and perhaps splitting the difference being lined up center mass and where it is now. Maybe give up some performance, but perhaps preserve the engine longer. I have the engine just sitting back in with just the 4 bottom mounts bolts installed, so it wouldn't be a big deal at this point to lift it back out and re-do this timing thing. I simply don't want to wrestle with this cart anymore once I get everything back together. I'm retired and well into my 60's and I got this cart to help save my back from fairly advanced case of spinal stenosis in my lower spine. I've been without it for about 2 months now and it's certainly taken a toll on my back while it's been out of commission!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #9
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I really wish someone with a 3pg would chime in cuz I'd hate to steer you wrong, and that does look like a factory mark.

Another thing to remember, The farther advanced you set it in forward results in the farther retarded it'll be in reverse.

Maybe before lifting it out again check it with a timing light and go from there......

Also I have to ask regarding this fuel everywhere issue, Did you line up the port in the side of the piston towards the intake side? I've seen people make the mistake of putting it in backwards, One way to make sure now is to look at the piston through the exhaust port. If you can see the 'window' in the side of the piston then it's in backwards.....

That's how the 2pg is, I would assume the 3pg is the same. To be sure on all of this you should send a PM to the member 'Cart around' in here, He'll have all the answers for ya
Old 09-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #10
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
To be sure on all of this you should send a PM to the member 'Cart around' in here, He'll have all the answers for ya
I wouldn't ask that obnoxious jerk anything. I think he gets drunk, makes up random answers, and spouts nothing but gibberish. I haven't seen him help anybody on here yet.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO